Status: This standard was approved as a departmental standard on June 22, 2021.
Foreign resident refers to a person in Canada who meets at least one of the following two criteria:
- This person is not a Canadian citizen; landed immigrant/permanent resident; or non-permanent resident.
- This person has their usual place of residence outside Canada.
'Foreign resident' includes:
- government representatives of another country attached to the embassy, high commission or other diplomatic body of that country in Canada, and members of their families living with them (unless they are Canadian citizens, landed immigrants/permanent residents or non-permanent residents)
- members of the Armed Forces of another country who are stationed in Canada and family members living with them (unless they are Canadian citizens, landed immigrants/permanent residents or non-permanent residents)
- residents of another country visiting Canada temporarily (for example, a foreign visitor on vacation or on a business trip).
Foreign residents are excluded from the target population of most surveys as their usual place of residence is outside Canada.
Relation to previous version
- Foreign resident June 22, 2021 to current
This is a new standard.