National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011
- 1 - Business, finance and administration occupations
- 13 - Finance, insurance and related business administrative occupations
- 131 - Finance, insurance and related business administrative occupations
1311 - Accounting technicians and bookkeepers
Accounting technicians and bookkeepers maintain complete sets of books, keep records of accounts, verify the procedures used for recording financial transactions, and provide personal bookkeeping services. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
- accounting bookkeeper
- accounting technician
- Accounting and related clerks (1431)
- Banking, insurance and other financial clerks (1434)
- Financial auditors and accountants (1111)
- Payroll clerks (1432)
Accounting technicians and bookkeepers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Keep financial records and establish, maintain and balance various accounts using manual and computerized bookkeeping systems
- Post journal entries and reconcile accounts, prepare trial balance of books, maintain general ledgers and prepare financial statements
- Calculate and prepare cheques for payrolls and for utility, tax and other bills
- Complete and submit tax remittance forms, workers' compensation forms, pension contribution forms and other government documents
- Prepare tax returns and perform other personal bookkeeping services
- Prepare other statistical, financial and accounting reports.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program in accounting, bookkeeping or a related field
Completion of two years (first level) of a recognized professional accounting program (e.g., Chartered Accounting, Certified General Accounting)
Courses in accounting or bookkeeping combined with several years of experience as a financial or accounting clerk are required.
- Progression to professional accounting occupations is possible with additional training.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: