North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) 2007
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating facilities or providing services to meet the cultural, entertainment and recreational interests of their patrons. These establishments produce, promote or participate in live performances, events or exhibits intended for public viewing; provide the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances; preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural or educational interest; and operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in sports or recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobbies and leisure-time interests.
There are establishments engaged in activities related to arts and recreation that are classified in other sectors of NAICS. The most important are listed below.
- transportation establishments providing sightseeing and pleasure cruises(48-49)
- motion picture theatres, libraries and archives, and publishers of newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals and computer software (See 51 Information and Cultural Industries)
- establishments that provide both accommodation and recreational facilities, such as hunting and fishing camps, resorts and casino hotels (See 721 Accommodation Services)
- restaurants and night clubs that provide live entertainment in addition to the sale of food and beverages (See 722 Food Services and Drinking Places)
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating recreation, amusement and gambling facilities and services. Examples of establishments in this subsector are golf courses, skiing facilities, marinas, recreational sports and fitness centres, bowling centres, amusement parks, amusement arcades and parlours, casinos, bingo halls, operators of video gaming terminals and operators of lotteries.
There are establishments engaged in amusement, gambling and recreation activities in combination with other activities that are classified in other sectors of NAICS. The most important are listed below.
- providers of sightseeing and pleasure cruises (See 487 Scenic and Sightseeing Transportation)
- horse race tracks (See 7112 Spectator Sports)
- operators of resort hotels, casino hotels, and recreation and vacation camps (See 721 Accommodation Services)
This industry group comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry group, primarily engaged in operating outdoor or indoor facilities, or providing services that enable patrons to participate in sports and recreational activities. Examples of establishments in this industry group are golf courses, skiing facilities, marinas, recreational, sports and fitness centres, and bowling centres.
- resorts in which recreational facilities are combined with hotel accommodation (See 72111 Hotels (except Casino Hotels) and Motels)
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating bowling centres. These establishments often provide food and beverage services.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- operating lawn bowling clubs (See 71394 Fitness and Recreational Sports Centres)
713950 - Bowling Centres
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating bowling centres. These establishments often provide food and beverage services.
- Bowling alleys
- Bowling centres