National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.1
- 9 - Occupations in manufacturing and utilities
- 94 - Processing and manufacturing machine operators and related production workers
- 947 - Printing equipment operators and related occupations
9474 - Photographic and film processors
Photographic and film processors process and finish still photographic film and motion picture film. They are employed in film processing laboratories and retail photofinishing establishments.
- darkroom technician
- film developer
- film printing machine operator
- film processor
- photograph developer
- photograph inspector - photographic processing
- photographic processor
- Film strippers and assemblers and negative spotters in the printing or graphic arts industry (See 9472 Camera, platemaking and other prepress occupations)
- Supervisors of photographic and film processors (See 7303 Supervisors, printing and related occupations)
Photographic and film processors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate equipment to develop negatives and slides, and to print black and white and colour photographs
- Operate photographic enlarging equipment to produce prints and enlargements from negatives
- Operate equipment to develop motion picture film
- Tend automatic equipment in retail establishments to develop colour negatives, prints and slides
- Operate equipment to transfer film to video tape
- Retouch photographic negatives or original prints to correct defects
- Splice film and mount film on reels
- Measure and mix chemicals required for processing
- Inspect rolls of photographic prints for conformance to specifications; or motion picture film to detect defects in developing and printing.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- For employment in film processing laboratories, completion of a college or other specialized photography program
Extensive related experience is required.
- For employment as a film printing machine operator in retail outlets, on-the-job training is provided.
- There is mobility among occupations within laboratory processing operations.
- Progression is possible from automatic machine tenders in retail establishments to laboratory processing occupations.