National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.1
- 1 - Business, finance and administration occupations
- 14 - Office support occupations
- 142 - Office equipment operators
1423 - Desktop publishing operators and related occupations
Desktop publishing operators use computers to enter copy into a typesetting system or operate typesetting output equipment to produce text that is ready to print. They are employed by firms that specialize in typesetting, commercial printing companies, publishing and printing companies and various establishments in the public and private sectors that have in-house printing departments.
- braille keyboard operator
- compositor - typesetting
- computer typesetter
- copy marker - typesetting
- desktop compositor
- desktop publishing (DTP) operator
- input operator - typesetting
- markup person
- output operator - typesetting
- photocomposition typesetter
- phototypesetter operator
- terminal operator
- Desktop publishing operator supervisors (See 1211 Supervisors, general office and administrative support workers)
- Graphic arts copy stylists and paste-up artists (See 5223 Graphic arts technicians)
- Graphic designers and illustrators (See 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators)
- Pre-flight and file preparation operators (See 9472 Camera, platemaking and other prepress occupations)
- Proofreaders (See 1452 Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks)
The following is a summary of the main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Desktop publishing operators operate desktop publishing software and equipment to design, lay out and produce camera-ready copy and may perform pre-flight operator duties.
- Markup persons mark copy with computer codes and typographic instructions before it is typeset.
- Typesetting input operators input copy, codes or commands and subsequent corrections into typesetting device or system; operate media conversion equipment to process and format copy transmitted through telecommunications.
- Typesetting output operators operate and tend typesetting output devices, load and process photosensitive material and perform routine maintenance.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts, or other training in typography, computer typesetting or desktop publishing, is usually required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible through experience.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: