North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 2.0
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating facilities or providing services to meet the cultural, entertainment and recreational interests of their patrons. These establishments produce, promote or participate in live performances, events or exhibits intended for public viewing; provide the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances; preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural or educational interest; and operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in sports or recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobbies and leisure-time interests.
There are establishments engaged in activities related to arts and recreation that are classified in other sectors of NAICS. The most important are listed below.
- establishments that provide both accommodation and recreational facilities, such as hunting and fishing camps, resorts and casino hotels (See 721 Accommodation services)
- motion picture theatres, libraries and archives, and publishers of newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals and computer software (See 51 Information and cultural industries)
- restaurants and night clubs that provide live entertainment in addition to the sale of food and beverages (See 722 Food services and drinking places)
- transportation establishments providing sightseeing and pleasure cruises (See 48-49 Transportation and warehousing)
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating recreation, amusement and gambling facilities and services. Examples of establishments in this subsector are golf courses, skiing facilities, marinas, recreational sports and fitness centres, bowling centres, amusement parks, amusement arcades and parlours, casinos, bingo halls, operators of video gaming terminals and operators of lotteries.
There are establishments engaged in amusement, gambling and recreation activities in combination with other activities that are classified in other sectors. The most important are listed below.
- horse race tracks (See 7112 Spectator sports)
- operators of resort hotels, casino hotels, and recreation and vacation camps (See 721 Accommodation services)
- providers of sightseeing and pleasure cruises (See 487 Scenic and sightseeing transportation)
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating amusement parks, amusement arcades and parlours.
- maintaining and operating coin-operated gaming devices, such as slot machines or video gambling terminals, in places of business operated by others (See 713299 All other gambling industries)
- maintaining coin-operated amusement devices, such as juke boxes, pinball machines, and mechanical and video games, in places of business operated by others (See 713999 All other amusement and recreation industries)
This industry comprises establishments, known as amusement or theme parks, primarily engaged in operating a variety of attractions, such as mechanical rides, water rides, games, shows, theme exhibits, refreshment stands, and picnic grounds. These establishments may lease space to others on a concession basis.
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating amusement arcades and parlours.