North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 2.0
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating facilities or providing services to meet the cultural, entertainment and recreational interests of their patrons. These establishments produce, promote or participate in live performances, events or exhibits intended for public viewing; provide the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances; preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural or educational interest; and operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in sports or recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobbies and leisure-time interests.
There are establishments engaged in activities related to arts and recreation that are classified in other sectors of NAICS. The most important are listed below.
- establishments that provide both accommodation and recreational facilities, such as hunting and fishing camps, resorts and casino hotels (See 721 Accommodation services)
- motion picture theatres, libraries and archives, and publishers of newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals and computer software (See 51 Information and cultural industries)
- restaurants and night clubs that provide live entertainment in addition to the sale of food and beverages (See 722 Food services and drinking places)
- transportation establishments providing sightseeing and pleasure cruises (See 48-49 Transportation and warehousing)
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in producing, or organizing and promoting, live presentations that involve the performances of actors and actresses, singers, dancers, musical groups and artists, athletes and other entertainers. This subsector also includes independent (freelance) entertainers and artists and the establishments that manage their careers. The classification recognizes four basic processes: producing events; organizing and promoting events; managing and representing entertainers; and providing the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances.
This subsector makes a clear distinction between performing arts companies and performing artists (independents). Although not unique to arts and entertainment, freelancing is a particularly important phenomenon in this subsector; however, it is difficult to implement in the case of musical groups (companies) and artists, especially pop groups. These establishments tend to be more loosely organized and it can be difficult to distinguish companies from freelancers. Therefore, this subsector includes one industry that covers both musical groups and musical artists.
This industry group comprises professional, semi-professional, or amateur sports clubs primarily engaged in presenting sporting events before an audience. These establishments may or may not operate the facility for presenting these events. Independent professional, semi-professional or amateur athletes (in their role as athletes), and operators of race tracks are also included.
This industry comprises professional, semi-professional, or amateur sports clubs primarily engaged in presenting sporting events before an audience. These establishments may or may not operate the facility for presenting these events. Independent professional, semi-professional or amateur athletes (in their role of athletes), and operators of race tracks are also included.
- operating amateur or professional sports associations and leagues (See 813990 Other membership organizations)
- operating recreational sports and athletic clubs and leagues (See 713991 Sports clubs, teams and leagues performing before a non-paying audience)
- promoting sports events and operating sports facilities, but not operating a sports club (See 711319 Sports stadiums and other presenters with facilities)
- promoting sports events, but not operating a sports facility or sports club (See 711329 Sports presenters and other presenters without facilities)
- providing endorsement, speaking and similar services of independent athletes (See 711512 Independent actors, comedians and performers)