North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 2.0
71 - Arts, entertainment and recreation
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating facilities or providing services to meet the cultural, entertainment and recreational interests of their patrons. These establishments produce, promote or participate in live performances, events or exhibits intended for public viewing; provide the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances; preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural or educational interest; and operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in sports or recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobbies and leisure-time interests.
There are establishments engaged in activities related to arts and recreation that are classified in other sectors of NAICS. The most important are listed below.
- establishments that provide both accommodation and recreational facilities, such as hunting and fishing camps, resorts and casino hotels (See 721 Accommodation services)
- motion picture theatres, libraries and archives, and publishers of newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals and computer software (See 51 Information and cultural industries)
- restaurants and night clubs that provide live entertainment in addition to the sale of food and beverages (See 722 Food services and drinking places)
- transportation establishments providing sightseeing and pleasure cruises (See 48-49 Transportation and warehousing)
713 - Amusement, gambling and recreation industries
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating recreation, amusement and gambling facilities and services. Examples of establishments in this subsector are golf courses, skiing facilities, marinas, recreational sports and fitness centres, bowling centres, amusement parks, amusement arcades and parlours, casinos, bingo halls, operators of video gaming terminals and operators of lotteries.
There are establishments engaged in amusement, gambling and recreation activities in combination with other activities that are classified in other sectors. The most important are listed below.
- horse race tracks (See 7112 Spectator sports)
- operators of resort hotels, casino hotels, and recreation and vacation camps (See 721 Accommodation services)
- providers of sightseeing and pleasure cruises (See 487 Scenic and sightseeing transportation)
7131 - Amusement parks and arcades
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating amusement parks, amusement arcades and parlours.
- maintaining and operating coin-operated gaming devices, such as slot machines or video gambling terminals, in places of business operated by others (See 713299 All other gambling industries)
- maintaining coin-operated amusement devices, such as juke boxes, pinball machines, and mechanical and video games, in places of business operated by others (See 713999 All other amusement and recreation industries)
7132 - Gambling industries
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating gambling facilities, such as casinos, bingo halls and video gaming terminals; or providing gambling services, such as lotteries and off-track betting.
- operating bars and restaurants with video gaming or other gambling machines on the premises (See 722 Food services and drinking places)
- operating casino hotels (See 721120 Casino hotels)
- operating horse race tracks (See 711213 Horse race tracks)
7139 - Other amusement and recreation industries
This industry group comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry group, primarily engaged in operating outdoor or indoor facilities, or providing services that enable patrons to participate in sports and recreational activities. Examples of establishments in this industry group are golf courses, skiing facilities, marinas, recreational, sports and fitness centres, and bowling centres.
- resorts in which recreational facilities are combined with lodging (See 721113 Resorts)
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: