North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 2.0
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing furniture and related products. The processes used in the manufacture of furniture are standard methods of forming materials and assembling components, including cutting, moulding and laminating. The design of the article, for both aesthetic and functional qualities, is an important aspect of the production process. Design services may be performed by the furniture establishment's own work force or may be purchased from industrial designers. Furniture is classified based on the application for which it is designed. For example, an upholstered sofa is treated as household furniture, although it may also be used in hotels or offices.
Furniture is also classified according to the component material from which it is made. Furniture made from more than one material is classified based on the material used in the frame, or if there is no frame, the predominant component material. Upholstered household furniture is classified as such, without regard to the frame material.
Furniture may be produced on a stock or custom basis and may be shipped assembled or unassembled (knockdown). Establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing furniture frames and parts are included.
- manufacturing furniture hardware (See 332 Fabricated metal product manufacturing)
- manufacturing laboratory and hospital furniture (See 339 Miscellaneous manufacturing)
- manufacturing seating for transportation equipment (See 336 Transportation equipment manufacturing)
- repairing, refinishing and reupholstering furniture (See 811 Repair and maintenance)
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing furniture designed for use in households; institutions such as schools, churches, restaurants and other public buildings; and wood kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, and counters.
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing furniture designed for office use, such as office chairs and desks; and office and store fixtures, such as showcases. Establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing furniture parts and frames, for all types of furniture, are also included.
This industry group comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry group, primarily engaged in manufacturing furniture-related products.
- manufacturing furniture hardware (See 3325 Hardware manufacturing)
- manufacturing safes and vaults (See 3329 Other fabricated metal product manufacturing)
- repairing, refinishing and reupholstering furniture (See 8114 Personal and household goods repair and maintenance)