National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.0
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 73 - Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- 730 - Contractors and supervisors, maintenance trades and heavy equipment and transport operators
7301 - Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
This unit group includes heating, refrigeration, air conditioning, millwrighting and elevator and other equipment installation and mechanic trades contractors who own and operate their own businesses. This group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in unit groups within the following minor groups: Machinery and Transportation Equipment Mechanics (Except Motor Vehicle) (731), Automotive Service Technicians (732) and Other Mechanics (733). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the unit group descriptions of the above minor groups.
- air conditioning and refrigeration mechanic foreman/woman
- aircraft maintenance engineers (AME) supervisor
- aircraft mechanics and inspectors foreman/woman
- appliance repair shop supervisor
- electrical mechanics foreman/woman
- heating systems contractor
- heating systems mechanics foreman/woman
- heavy machinery assembly foreman/woman
- industrial mechanics supervisor
- motor vehicle repair shop supervisor
- printing machine repairers foreman/woman
- railway car repairer foreman/woman
- railway equipment maintenance inspectors foreman/woman
- small-engine repair shop foreman/woman
- textile machine mechanics foreman/woman
- Foremen/women of workers who repair electrical industrial equipment (See 7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations)
Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who repair and maintain aircraft, railway locomotives and cars, industrial machinery and equipment, construction and other heavy equipment, textile equipment, printing machines, heating equipment and furnaces, transformers and other electrical equipment, motor vehicles, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment, electric appliances and other equipment, such as motorcycles, outboard motors and snowmobiles
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend work measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Ensure that standards for safe working conditions are observed
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of their own companies
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience as a qualified tradesperson in a relevant trade are usually required.
- Journeyman/woman trade certification in a relevant trade is required.
- There is little or no intertrade mobility among the supervisors in this unit group.