National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.0
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 72 - Industrial, electrical and construction trades
- 724 - Electrical trades and electrical power line and telecommunications workers
7246 - Telecommunications installation and repair workers
Telecommunications installation and repair workers install, test, maintain and repair telephones, telephone switching equipment and telecommunications equipment related to transmission and processing of voice, video signals and other data over a variety of media including fibre optics, microwave, radio and satellite. They are employed by telephone and other telecommunications transmission services establishments.
- apprentice communication electrician - switching
- cellular telephone technician
- exchange tester - telecommunications
- mobile radio installer
- private branch exchange (PBX) installer
- switch network installer and repairer
- telecommunications equipment technician
- telephone communication technician
- telephone installer
- telephone line and station installer
- Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment) (See 2242 Electronic service technicians (household and business equipment))
- Supervisors of telecommunication installation and repair workers (See 7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations)
- Telecommunications line and cable workers (See 7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers)
Telephone installers and repairers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Install, arrange, remove and maintain telephone equipment, wiring and associated hardware
- Test installed telephone systems to locate transmission faults
- Repair or replace defective and damaged telephones, wire and associated equipment.
Switch network installers and repairers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Install electromechanical, analog and digital trunking systems, circuits and equipment in telecommunications central offices and switching centres
- Inspect and test trunking systems, circuits and equipment
- Analyze test results and adjust, change or repair switching system, network, associated equipment and software.
Telecommunications service testers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate computerized testing systems to conduct service tests on customer lines and equipment
- Determine the nature, cause and location of service trouble
- Dispatch appropriate repair personnel
- Complete test reports and maintain test and service records
- May assist repair personnel to test lines, circuits and systems, isolate and clear cable faults and verify records.
Telecommunications equipment technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Install, remove and maintain various telecommunications equipment and related systems such as telex and facsimile machines, teletypewriters, mobile radios, cellular telephones, pagers and other telecommunications equipment
- Configure operating systems and install software for access to the Internet
- Inspect and test operation of telecommunications equipment
- Diagnose and locate equipment faults, and adjust, replace or repair telecommunications equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Telephone and switch network installers and repairers require completion of an apprenticeship program ranging from three to four years
A combination of over three years work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry related courses.
- Telecommunications equipment technicians usually require completion of a college electrical and electronics program and several months of on-the-job training
Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship training program.
- Trade certification for communication technicians is available, but voluntary, in Nova Scotia, Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Experience as an installer and repairer (telephone and switch network) is usually required for service testers.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: