National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 65 - Service representatives and other customer and personal services occupations
- 655 - Customer and information services representatives
6552 - Other customer and information services representatives
This unit group includes customer and information services representatives who answer enquiries and provide information regarding an establishment's goods, services and policies and who provide customer services such as receiving payments and processing requests for services. They are employed by retail establishments, contact centres, insurance, telecommunications and utility companies and other establishments throughout the private and public sectors.
- accounts information clerk
- bus information clerk
- complaints clerk - customer service
- contact centre agent - customer service
- courtesy desk clerk
- customer service representative - call centre
- enquiries clerk
- information clerk - customer service
- lost-and-found clerk
- order desk agent
- public relations clerk
- tourist information clerk
- Airline ticket and service agents (See 6523 Airline ticket and service agents)
- Customer and information services supervisors (See 6314 Customer and information services supervisors)
- Customer service representatives in banks and other financial institutions (See 6551 Customer services representatives - financial institutions)
- Receptionists (See 1414 Receptionists)
- Retail salespersons (See 6421 Retail salespersons)
- Ticket and information clerks (except airline) (See 6524 Ground and water transport ticket agents, cargo service representatives and related clerks)
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
Customer services representatives in retail establishments
- Answer, in person or on the phone, enquiries from customers
- Investigate complaints regarding the establishment's goods, services and policies
- Arrange for refunds, exchange and credit for returned merchandise
- Receive account payments
- Receive credit and employment applications.
Contact centre agents
- Take customer orders for goods or services
- Promote goods or services
- Respond to enquiries and emergencies
- Investigate complaints and update accounts.
Customer service representatives in insurance, telecommunication, utility and similar companies
- Explain the type and cost of services offered
- Order services
- Povide information about claims or accounts
- Update accounts, initiate billing and process claim payments, and receive payment for services.
Information services representatives
- Provide information to customers and the public concerning goods, services, schedules, rates, regulations and policies in response to telephone and in-person enquiries.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of some college or other post-secondary programs may be required.
- Clerical or sales experience may be required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.