North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2017 Version 1.0
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in extracting naturally occurring minerals. These can be solids, such as coal and ores; liquids, such as crude petroleum; and gases, such as natural gas. The term mining is used in the broad sense to include quarrying, well operations, milling (for example, crushing, screening, washing, or flotation) and other preparation customarily done at the mine site, or as a part of mining activity. Establishments engaged in exploration for minerals, development of mineral properties and mining operations are included in this sector. Establishments performing similar activities, on a contract or fee basis, are also included.
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining, beneficiating or otherwise preparing metallic and non-metallic minerals, including coal.
- providing support services, on a contract or fee basis, required for the mining and quarrying of minerals (See 21311 Support activities for mining, and oil and gas extraction)
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining metallic minerals (ores). Also included are establishments engaged in ore dressing and beneficiating operations, whether performed at mills operated in conjunction with the mines served or at mills, such as custom mills, operated separately. These include mills that crush, grind, wash, dry, sinter, calcine or leach ore, or perform gravity separation or flotation operations.
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining, beneficiating or otherwise preparing iron ores, and manganiferous ores valued chiefly for their iron content. Establishments engaged in the production of sinter and other agglomerates, except those associated with blast furnace operations, are included.
212210 - Iron ore mining
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in mining, beneficiating or otherwise preparing iron ores, and manganiferous ores valued chiefly for their iron content.
- iron agglomerate and pellet production
- iron ore dressing (beneficiation) plants
- magnoferrite and manganiferous ore valued for iron content, mining
- magnetite mining
- mining ore (i.e., limonite, siderite, taconite, brown ore)
- production of sinter and other agglomerates
- production of sinter and other agglomerates (except those associated with blast furnace operations)
- specular hematite concentrate mining
- operating blast furnaces to produce pig iron from iron ore (See 331110 Iron and steel mills and ferro-alloy manufacturing)