Variant of NAICS 1997 - Labour Force Survey (LFS) Industries
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in operating facilities or providing services to meet the cultural, entertainment and recreational interests of their patrons. These establishments produce, promote or participate in live performances, events or exhibits intended for public viewing; provide the artistic, creative and technical skills necessary for the production of artistic products and live performances; preserve and exhibit objects and sites of historical, cultural or educational interest; and operate facilities or provide services that enable patrons to participate in sports or recreational activities or pursue amusement, hobbies and leisure-time interests.
There are establishments engaged in activities related to arts and recreation that are classified in other sectors of NAICS. The most important are listed below.
- transportation establishments providing sightseeing and pleasure cruises(48-49)
- motion picture theatres, libraries and archives, and publishers of newspapers, magazines, books, periodicals and computer software (See 51 Information and Cultural Industries)
- establishments that provide both accommodation and recreational facilities, such as hunting and fishing camps, resorts and casino hotels (See 721 Accommodation Services)
- restaurants and night clubs that provide live entertainment in addition to the sale of food and beverages (See 722 Food Services and Drinking Places)
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in preserving and exhibiting objects, sites and natural wonders of historical, cultural and educational value.
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in preserving and exhibiting objects, sites and natural wonders of historical, cultural and educational value.
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in acquiring, conserving, interpreting, and exhibiting permanent collections of objects of historical, cultural and educational value.
712111 - Non-Commercial Art Museums and Galleries
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in acquiring, researching, conserving, interpreting, and exhibiting art to the public. Art museums and art galleries with permanent collections are included.
- commercial art galleries and art dealers who operate primarily for the sale of art objects (See 453920 Art Dealers)
- Art galleries (except retail)
- Art museums
- Galleries, art (except retail)
- Museums, art
712119 - Museums (except Art Museums and Galleries)
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in acquiring, conserving, interpreting, exhibiting and making accessible to the public, objects of historical and cultural value.
- art museums and galleries (See 712111 Non-Commercial Art Museums and Galleries)
- Human history museums
- Military museums
- Museums (except art)
- Science and technology museums
- Sports hall of fame
- Wax museums