Variant of NAICS 1997 - Labour Force Survey (LFS) Industries
7 - Services-Producing Sector
10 - Finance, Insurance, Real Estate and Leasing
52 - Finance and Insurance
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in financial transactions (that is, transactions involving the creation, liquidation, or change in ownership of financial assets) or in facilitating financial transactions. Included are:
* establishments that are primarily engaged in financial intermediation. They raise funds by taking deposits and/or issuing securities, and, in the process, incur liabilities, which they use to acquire financial assets by making loans and/or purchasing securities. Putting themselves at risk, they channel funds from lenders to borrowers and transform or repackage the funds with respect to maturity, scale and risk.
* establishments that are primarily engaged in the pooling of risk by underwriting annuities and insurance. They collect fees (insurance premiums or annuity considerations), build up reserves, invest those reserves and make contractual payments. Fees are based on the expected incidence of the insured risk and the expected return on investment.
* establishments that are primarily engaged in providing specialized services that facilitate or support financial intermediation, insurance and employee benefit programs.
In addition, establishments charged with monetary control - the monetary authorities - are included in this sector.
523 - Securities, Commodity Contracts, and Other Financial Investment and Related Activities
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in putting capital at risk in the process of underwriting securities issues or in making markets for securities and commodities; acting as intermediaries between buyers and sellers of securities; providing securities and commodity exchange services (furnishing space, marketplaces, and often facilities for the purpose of facilitating the buying and selling of stocks, stock options, bonds or commodity contracts); facilitating the marketing of financial contracts; asset management (managing portfolios of securities); and providing investment advice, trust, fiduciary, custody and other investment services.
5231 - Securities and Commodity Contracts Intermediation and Brokerage
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in putting capital at risk in the process of underwriting securities issues or in making markets for securities, and acting as intermediaries between buyers and sellers of securities.
52314 - Commodity Contracts Brokerage
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in buying and selling commodity contracts and futures contracts for others on a commission basis.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- buying and selling physical commodities for resale to other than the general public (See 41 Wholesale Trade)
523140 - Commodity Contracts Brokerage
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in buying and selling commodity contracts and futures contracts for others on a commission basis.
- Brokerages, commodity contract
- Brokers, commodity contracts, offices
- Commodity contracts floor brokers
- Commodity contracts options brokers
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: