Variant of NAICS 1997 - Labour Force Survey (LFS) Industries
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling merchandise and providing related logistics, marketing and support services. The wholesaling process is generally an intermediate step in the distribution of merchandise; many wholesalers are therefore organized to sell merchandise in large quantities to retailers, and business and institutional clients. However, some wholesalers, in particular those that supply non-consumer capital goods, sell merchandise in single units to final users.
This sector recognizes two main types of wholesalers, that is, wholesale merchants and wholesale agents and brokers.
Wholesale merchants buy and sell merchandise on their own account, that is, they take title to the goods they sell. They generally operate from warehouse or office locations and they may ship from their own inventory or arrange for the shipment of goods directly from the supplier to the client. In addition to the sale of goods, they may provide, or arrange for the provision of, logistics, marketing and support services, such as packaging and labelling, inventory management, shipping, handling of warranty claims, in-store or co-op promotions, and product training. Dealers of machinery and equipment, such as dealers of farm machinery and heavy-duty trucks, also fall within this category.
Wholesale merchants are known by a variety of trade designations depending on their relationship with suppliers or customers, or the distribution method they employ. Examples include wholesale merchants, wholesale distributors, drop shippers, rack-jobbers, import-export merchants, buying groups, dealer-owned cooperatives and banner wholesalers.
The first eight subsectors of wholesale trade comprise wholesale merchants. The grouping of these establishments into industry groups and industries is based on the merchandise line or lines supplied by the wholesaler.
Wholesale Agents and Brokers
Wholesale agents and brokers buy and sell merchandise owned by others on a fee or commission basis. They do not take title to the goods they buy or sell, and they generally operate at or from an office location.
Wholesale agents and brokers are known by a variety of trade designations including import-export agents, wholesale commission agents, wholesale brokers, and manufacturer's representatives and agents.
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling farm, lawn and garden machinery and equipment; construction, forestry, mining and industrial machinery, equipment and supplies; computers and communication equipment and supplies; and other machinery, equipment and supplies.
4172 - Construction, Forestry, Mining, and Industrial Machinery, Equipment and Supplies Wholesaler-Distributors
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling construction, forestry, mining and industrial machinery, equipment and supplies.
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling new and used mining, oil and gas well equipment, and petroleum refinery machinery, equipment, supplies and parts.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- wholesaling quarrying and rock drilling equipment (See 41721 Construction and Forestry Machinery, Equipment and Supplies Wholesaler-Distributors)
- repairing mining and oil and gas well machinery and equipment (See 81131 Commercial and Industrial Machinery and Equipment (except Automotive and Electronic) Repair and Maintenance)
417220 - Mining and Oil and Gas Well Machinery, Equipment and Supplies Wholesaler-Distributors
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling new and used mining, oil and gas well equipment, and petroleum refinery machinery, equipment, supplies and parts.
- Agitators, crushers and classifiers, mine, wholesale
- Ball, rod and pebble mill machinery, wholesale
- Floating roof seals for oil and gas storage tanks, wholesale
- Flotation machinery, ore dressing, wholesale
- Mineral beneficiation machinery, wholesale
- Mining machinery, wholesale
- Natural gas field production equipment, wholesale
- Oil refining machinery and equipment, wholesale
- Oil well machinery and equipment, wholesale
- Oil well supply houses, wholesale
- Ore dressing machinery, wholesale
- Petroleum production machinery and equipment, wholesale
- Vibrating and screening equipment, mine, wholesale