Variant of NAICS 1997 - Labour Force Survey (LFS) Industries
7 - Services-Producing Sector
8 - Trade
41 - Wholesale Trade
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling merchandise and providing related logistics, marketing and support services. The wholesaling process is generally an intermediate step in the distribution of merchandise; many wholesalers are therefore organized to sell merchandise in large quantities to retailers, and business and institutional clients. However, some wholesalers, in particular those that supply non-consumer capital goods, sell merchandise in single units to final users.
This sector recognizes two main types of wholesalers, that is, wholesale merchants and wholesale agents and brokers.
Wholesale merchants buy and sell merchandise on their own account, that is, they take title to the goods they sell. They generally operate from warehouse or office locations and they may ship from their own inventory or arrange for the shipment of goods directly from the supplier to the client. In addition to the sale of goods, they may provide, or arrange for the provision of, logistics, marketing and support services, such as packaging and labelling, inventory management, shipping, handling of warranty claims, in-store or co-op promotions, and product training. Dealers of machinery and equipment, such as dealers of farm machinery and heavy-duty trucks, also fall within this category.
Wholesale merchants are known by a variety of trade designations depending on their relationship with suppliers or customers, or the distribution method they employ. Examples include wholesale merchants, wholesale distributors, drop shippers, rack-jobbers, import-export merchants, buying groups, dealer-owned cooperatives and banner wholesalers.
The first eight subsectors of wholesale trade comprise wholesale merchants. The grouping of these establishments into industry groups and industries is based on the merchandise line or lines supplied by the wholesaler.
Wholesale Agents and Brokers
Wholesale agents and brokers buy and sell merchandise owned by others on a fee or commission basis. They do not take title to the goods they buy or sell, and they generally operate at or from an office location.
Wholesale agents and brokers are known by a variety of trade designations including import-export agents, wholesale commission agents, wholesale brokers, and manufacturer's representatives and agents.
416 - Building Material and Supplies Wholesaler-Distributors
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling electrical, plumbing, heating and air-conditioning equipment and supplies, metal and metal products, lumber, millwork, hardware and other building supplies.
4163 - Lumber, Millwork, Hardware and Other Building Supplies Wholesaler-Distributors
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in wholesaling lumber and millwork, paint, glass, wallpaper, hardware and other building supplies.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- wholesaling logs and wood chips (See 41891 Log and Wood Chip Wholesaler-Distributors)
41639 - Other Specialty-Line Building Supplies Wholesaler-Distributors
This industry comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry, primarily engaged in wholesaling specialized lines of building supplies.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- retailing specialty lines of building supplies (See 44419 Other Building Material Dealers)
416390 - Other Specialty-Line Building Supplies Wholesaler-Distributors
This Canadian industry comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry, primarily engaged in wholesaling specialized lines of building supplies.
- Aggregate, wholesale
- Air ducts, sheet metal, wholesale
- Asphalt roofing materials, wholesale
- Awnings (except canvas), wholesale
- Brick, tile, cement, wholesale
- Building stone, wholesale
- Caulking materials, wholesale
- Cement, brick, tile, wholesale
- Ceramic construction materials (except refractory), wholesale
- Ceramic wall and floor tile, wholesale
- Concrete and cinder block, wholesale
- Concrete building products, wholesale
- Concrete mixtures, wholesale
- Conduit and pipe, concrete, wholesale
- Cottages, prefabricated, wholesale
- Counter tops and kitchen cabinets, wholesale
- Crushed stone, wholesale
- Drywall and plaster supplies, wholesale
- Eavestroughing, wholesale
- Fence and accessories, wire, wholesale
- Fencing and accessories, wire, wholesale
- Fibreglass insulation materials, wholesale
- Gates and accessories, wire, wholesale
- Gravel, wholesale
- Insulation materials, wholesale
- Kitchen cabinets, built in, wholesale
- Limestone, wholesale
- Marble building stone, wholesale
- Masonry bricks, blocks, tile and stone, builders' supply, wholesale
- Masons' materials, wholesale
- Metal buildings, wholesale
- Metal siding and roofing materials, wholesale
- Mineral wool insulation materials, wholesale
- Paving mixtures, wholesale
- Plaster and drywall supplies, wholesale
- Prefabricated buildings, wholesale
- Prefabricated cottages, wholesale
- Prefabricated homes, wholesale
- Roofing materials, dealers (except wooden)
- Sand, gravel and cement, builders' supply, wholesale
- Septic tanks (except concrete), wholesale
- Sheet metal roofing materials, wholesale
- Shingles (except wood), wholesale
- Siding, metal, wholesale
- Slate and slate products, wholesale
- Sound proofing materials, wholesale
- Stone, building, wholesale
- Stone, crushed or broken, wholesale
- Structural assemblies, prefabricated, wood, wholesale
- Stucco, wholesale
- Tile, clay or other ceramic (except refractory), wholesale
- Trim, sheet metal, wholesale
- Windows and doors (except wooden), wholesale
- Wire fences, gates and accessories, wholesale
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: