Variant of NAICS 1997 - Labour Force Survey (LFS) Industries
1 - Goods-Producing Sector
6 - Manufacturing
31-33 - Manufacturing
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in the physical or chemical transformation of materials or substances into new products. These products may be finished, in the sense that they are ready to be used or consumed, or semi-finished, in the sense of becoming a raw material for an establishment to use in further manufacturing. Related activities, such as the assembly of the component parts of manufactured goods; the blending of materials; and the finishing of manufactured products by dyeing, heat-treating, plating and similar operations are also treated as manufacturing activities. Manufacturing establishments are known by a variety of trade designations, such as plants, factories or mills.
Manufacturing establishments may own the materials which they transform or they may transform materials owned by other establishments. Manufacturing may take place in factories or in workers' homes, using either machinery or hand tools.
Certain activities involving the transformation of goods are classified in other sectors. Some examples are post-harvest activities of agricultural establishments, such as crop drying; logging; the beneficiating of mineral ores; the production of structures by construction establishments; and various activities conducted by retailers, such as meat cutting and the assembly of products such as bicycles and computers.
333 - Machinery Manufacturing
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing industrial and commercial machinery. These establishments assemble parts into components, subassemblies and complete machines. They may make the parts themselves, using general metal-working processes, or purchase them.
Establishments tend to specialize in producing machinery designed for particular applications, and this is reflected in the structure of the industry groups and industries. A broad distinction exists between general-purpose machinery, that is designed to be used in a variety of industrial applications, such as pumping or machining, and special-purpose machinery, that is designed to be used in a particular industry, such as agriculture or printing. The first three industry groups consist of establishments that produce special-purpose machinery. Establishments that produce general-purpose machinery are classified in the remaining industry groups.
Establishments primarily engaged in rebuilding machinery are included in the same industry as establishments manufacturing the particular type of new machinery. Unless otherwise specified, establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing parts, designed for use solely or principally with a particular machine, are classified in the same industry as establishments manufacturing that type of machinery.
3333 - Commercial and Service Industry Machinery Manufacturing
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing machinery for use in commercial and service industries.
33331 - Commercial and Service Industry Machinery Manufacturing
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing machinery for use in commercial and service industries.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- manufacturing sensitized film, paper, cloth and plates; prepared photographic chemicals; and photocopier toner and toner cartridges (See 32599 All Other Chemical Product Manufacturing)
- manufacturing computer and peripheral equipment; point-of-sale machines and automatic teller machines (See 33411 Computer and Peripheral Equipment Manufacturing)
- manufacturing television and video cameras (See 33431 Audio and Video Equipment Manufacturing)
- manufacturing time clocks and other time-recording devices (See 33451 Navigational, Measuring, Medical and Control Instruments Manufacturing)
- manufacturing household appliances (See 3352 Household Appliance Manufacturing)
- manufacturing pencil sharpeners, staplers and similar office supplies (See 33994 Office Supplies (except Paper) Manufacturing)
333310 - Commercial and Service Industry Machinery Manufacturing
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing machinery for use in commercial and service industries.
- Adding machines, electronic, manufacturing
- Adding machines, manufacturing
- Alignment equipment, motor vehicle wheel, manufacturing
- Balancing equipment, motor vehicle wheel, manufacturing
- Binoculars, manufacturing
- Calculators, manufacturing
- Camera lenses, manufacturing
- Cameras (except television, video and digital), manufacturing
- Car washing machinery, manufacturing
- Carnival and amusement park rides, manufacturing
- Carnival and amusement park shooting gallery machinery, manufacturing
- Carpet sweepers, mechanical, manufacturing
- Cash registers (except point-of-sale terminals), manufacturing
- Cash registers, electronic, manufacturing
- Central vacuuming systems, commercial type, manufacturing
- Change making machines, manufacturing
- Coffee makers, commercial type, manufacturing
- Cooking equipment, commercial type, manufacturing
- Currency counting machinery, manufacturing
- Developing equipment, photographic film, manufacturing
- Drycleaning equipment and machinery, manufacturing
- Dryers, laundry (except household type), manufacturing
- Enlargers, photographic, manufacturing
- Envelope stuffing, sealing and addressing machinery, manufacturing
- Flight simulators machinery, manufacturing
- Hole punches (except hand operated), office type, manufacturing
- Incoming mail handling equipment (e.g., opening, sorting, scanning), manufacturing
- Laundry machinery and equipment (except household type), manufacturing
- Lens polishing (except opthalmic)
- Lenses (except ophthalmic), manufacturing
- Letter folding, stuffing and sealing machines, manufacturing
- Light meters, photographic, manufacturing
- Mechanisms for coin-operated machines, manufacturing
- Microfiche equipment (e.g., cameras, projectors, readers), manufacturing
- Microfilm equipment (e.g., cameras, projectors, readers), manufacturing
- Microwave ovens, commercial type, manufacturing
- Ovens, commercial type, manufacturing
- Overhead projectors (except computer peripherals), manufacturing
- Photocopying machines, manufacturing
- Photographic equipment, coin operated, manufacturing
- Photographic film developing equipment, manufacturing
- Photographic lenses, manufacturing
- Postage meters, manufacturing
- Pressing machines (except household type), manufacturing
- Projection screens (i.e., motion picture, slide, overhead), manufacturing
- Ranges, commercial type, manufacturing
- Screens, projection (i.e., motion picture, slide, overhead), manufacturing
- Sewage treatment equipment, manufacturing
- Stoves, commercial type, manufacturing
- Teaching machines (e.g., flight simulators), manufacturing
- Trash and garbage compactors, commercial type, manufacturing
- Vacuum cleaners, industrial and commercial type, manufacturing
- Vending machines, manufacturing
- Voting machines, manufacturing
- Washing machines, laundry (except household type), manufacturing
- Water heaters (except boilers), commercial type, manufacturing
- Water purification equipment, manufacturing
- Water softening equipment, manufacturing
- Water treatment equipment, manufacturing
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: