Variant of NAICS 1997 - Labour Force Survey (LFS) Industries
1 - Goods-Producing Sector
6 - Manufacturing
31-33 - Manufacturing
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in the physical or chemical transformation of materials or substances into new products. These products may be finished, in the sense that they are ready to be used or consumed, or semi-finished, in the sense of becoming a raw material for an establishment to use in further manufacturing. Related activities, such as the assembly of the component parts of manufactured goods; the blending of materials; and the finishing of manufactured products by dyeing, heat-treating, plating and similar operations are also treated as manufacturing activities. Manufacturing establishments are known by a variety of trade designations, such as plants, factories or mills.
Manufacturing establishments may own the materials which they transform or they may transform materials owned by other establishments. Manufacturing may take place in factories or in workers' homes, using either machinery or hand tools.
Certain activities involving the transformation of goods are classified in other sectors. Some examples are post-harvest activities of agricultural establishments, such as crop drying; logging; the beneficiating of mineral ores; the production of structures by construction establishments; and various activities conducted by retailers, such as meat cutting and the assembly of products such as bicycles and computers.
327 - Non-Metallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing non-metallic mineral products. These establishments cut, grind, shape and finish granite, marble, limestone, slate and other stone; mix non-metallic minerals with chemicals and other additives; and heat non-metallic mineral preparations to make products, such as bricks, refractories, ceramic products, cement and glass.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- beneficiating non-metallic minerals (See 212 Mining (except Oil and Gas))
3279 - Other Non-Metallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
This industry group comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry group, primarily engaged in manufacturing non-metallic mineral products.
32799 - All Other Non-Metallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
This industry comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry, primarily engaged in manufacturing non-metallic mineral products.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- manufacturing asbestos brake and clutch linings (See 33634 Motor Vehicle Brake System Manufacturing)
- manufacturing asbestos gaskets and gasket materials (See 33999 All Other Miscellaneous Manufacturing)
327990 - All Other Non-Metallic Mineral Product Manufacturing
This Canadian industry comprises establishments, not classified to any other industry, primarily engaged in manufacturing non-metallic mineral products.
- Asbestos products (except gaskets), manufacturing
- Bricks and blocks, sand-lime, manufacturing
- Concrete, dry mixture, manufacturing
- Dimension stone dressing and manufacturing
- Dimension stone for buildings, manufacturing
- Dry mix concrete, manufacturing
- Ecclesiastical statuary, stone, manufacturing
- Fibreglass insulation products, manufacturing
- Fuller's earth, processing beyond beneficiating
- Furniture, cut stone (i.e., benches, tables, church), manufacturing
- Insulating batts, fills or blankets, fibreglass, manufacturing
- Insulation, mineral wool, manufacturing
- Kaolin, processing beyond beneficiating
- Mica products, manufacturing
- Mineral wool insulation materials, manufacturing
- Mineral wool products (e.g., board, insulation, tile), manufacturing
- Monuments and tombstones, cut stone (except finishing or lettering to order only), manufacturing
- Peat pots, manufacturing
- Statuary, marble, manufacturing
- Stone, cut products (e.g., blocks, statuary), manufacturing
- Stucco and stucco products, manufacturing
- Synthetic stones, for gem stones and industrial use, manufacturing
- Tile, acoustical, mineral wool, manufacturing
- Vermiculite, exfoliated, manufacturing
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: