Variant of NAICS 1997 - Labour Force Survey (LFS) Industries
1 - Goods-Producing Sector
6 - Manufacturing
31-33 - Manufacturing
This sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in the physical or chemical transformation of materials or substances into new products. These products may be finished, in the sense that they are ready to be used or consumed, or semi-finished, in the sense of becoming a raw material for an establishment to use in further manufacturing. Related activities, such as the assembly of the component parts of manufactured goods; the blending of materials; and the finishing of manufactured products by dyeing, heat-treating, plating and similar operations are also treated as manufacturing activities. Manufacturing establishments are known by a variety of trade designations, such as plants, factories or mills.
Manufacturing establishments may own the materials which they transform or they may transform materials owned by other establishments. Manufacturing may take place in factories or in workers' homes, using either machinery or hand tools.
Certain activities involving the transformation of goods are classified in other sectors. Some examples are post-harvest activities of agricultural establishments, such as crop drying; logging; the beneficiating of mineral ores; the production of structures by construction establishments; and various activities conducted by retailers, such as meat cutting and the assembly of products such as bicycles and computers.
323 - Printing and Related Support Activities
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in printing and providing related support activities.
- Printing on textile products (except clothing)
3231 - Printing and Related Support Activities
This industry group comprises establishments primarily engaged in printing and providing related support activities.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- printing on textile fabrics (See 3133 Textile and Fabric Finishing and Fabric Coating)
- publishing, or printing and publishing (See 5111 Newspaper, Periodical, Book and Database Publishers)
- printing using simple electrostatic printers, such as office-type photocopiers (See 5614 Business Support Services)
32312 - Support Activities for Printing
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing support services to commercial printers, such as pre-press and bindery work.
323120 - Support Activities for Printing
This Canadian industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing support services to commercial printers, such as pre-press and bindery work.
- Binderies (i.e., bookbinding shops)
- Book gilding, bronzing, edging, deckling, embossing and gold stamping, for the trade
- Book repairing
- Bookbinding, without printing
- Colour separation services, for the printing trade
- Electronic prepress services for the printing trade
- Electrotype plate preparation services
- Embossing plate preparation services
- Engraving printing plates, for the printing trades
- Flexographic plate preparation services
- Gravure plates and cylinders preparation services
- Imagesetting services, pre-press
- Letterpress plate preparation services
- Lithographic plate preparation services
- Offset plate preparation services
- Pamphlets and magazines, binding without printing
- Photocomposition services, for the printing trades
- Photoengraving plate preparation services
- Platemaking, for the printing trades
- Postpress services (e.g., beveling, binding, bronzing, edging, foil stamping), on printed products
- Prepress printing services (e.g., colour separation, imagesetting, photocomposition, typesetting)
- Printing plate preparation services
- Printing postpress services (e.g., beveling, binding, bronzing, edging, foil stamping)
- Printing prepress services (e.g., colour separation, imagesetting, photocomposition, typesetting)
- Repairing books
- Rotogravure printing plates and cylinders preparation services
- Samples and displays mounting
- Screens for printing, preparation services
- Trade binding services
- Typesetting (i.e., computer-controlled, hand, machine), for the printing trade
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: