National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 75 - Helpers and labourers and other transport drivers, operators and labourers
- 751 - Helpers and labourers
- 7510 - Longshore workers and material handlers
75101 - Material handlers
Material handlers handle, move, load and unload materials by hand or using a variety of material handling equipment. They are employed by transportation, storage and moving companies, and by a variety of manufacturing and processing companies and retail and wholesale warehouses.
- bin filler
- coal handler
- conveyor console operator
- forklift truck operator
- freight handler (except air transport)
- furniture mover
- lumber piler - building supplies
- material handler
- railway car loader
- storage worker - material handling
- truck loader
- grain elevator operator
- Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews (See 72021 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews)
- Freight attendant - air transport (See 74202 Air transport ramp attendants)
- Heavy equipment operators (See 73400 Heavy equipment operators)
- Longshore workers (See 75100 Longshore workers)
- Mover helper (See 75211 Railway and motor transport labourers)
- Storekeepers and partspersons (See 14401 Storekeepers and partspersons)
- Warehouse distribution supervisor (See 12013 Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling coordination occupations)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Load, unload and move products and materials by hand or using basic material handling equipment
- Move household appliances and furniture onto and off moving trucks or vans
- Perform other material handling activities such as counting, weighing, sorting, packing and unpacking.
- Operate winches and other loading devices to load and unload materials onto and off trucks, railway cars and loading docks of warehouses and industrial establishments
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors, loaders and other equipment to transport materials to and from transportation vehicles and loading docks and to store and retrieve materials in warehouses
- Connect hoses or pipes and operate equipment to load and unload liquid petroleum, chemical or other products into or from tank cars, tank trucks or storage tanks
- Operate equipment to dump materials such as coal, ore and grain into or to remove materials from railway cars, trucks or other vehicles
- Operate conveyors and equipment to transfer grain or other materials from transportation vehicles to elevators, bins or other storage areas
- May perform other activities, such as opening containers and crates, filling warehouse orders, assisting in taking inventory and weighing and checking materials.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- Physical strength is required for manual material handlers who work with heavy materials.