National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 75 - Helpers and labourers and other transport drivers, operators and labourers
- 751 - Helpers and labourers
- 7510 - Longshore workers and material handlers
75100 - Longshore workers
Longshore workers transfer cargo throughout dock area and onto and from ships and other vessels. They are employed by marine cargo handling companies, shipping agencies and shipping lines.
- longshore worker
- ship loader operator
- tanker loader
- Crane operators (See 72500 Crane operators)
- Longshore worker superintendent (See 72021 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews)
- Longshore workers foreman/woman (See 72021 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews)
- Material handlers (See 75101 Material handlers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors and other mobile equipment to transfer cargo, such as containers, crated items, automobiles and pallet-mounted machinery, around dock to within range of cranes and hoists
- Operate winches or other hoisting devices to load and unload cargo onto and from ships and other vessels
- Operate mechanical towers to load vessels with materials such as coal and ore
- Operate equipment to transfer bulk materials, such as grain, to hold of vessels
- Connect hoses and operate equipment to transfer liquid materials into storage tanks on vessels
- Perform other activities such as lashing and shoring cargo aboard ships, opening and closing hatches, cleaning holds of ships and rigging cargo.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Progression to foreman/woman or supervisor of longshore workers is possible with experience.