National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 73 - General trades
- 733 - Transportation occupations
- 7331 - Train crew operating occupations
73311 - Railway conductors and brakemen/women
Railway conductors coordinate and supervise the activities of passenger and freight train crew members. Brakemen check train brakes and other systems and equipment prior to train run, and assist railway conductors in activities en route. They are employed by railway transport companies.
- conductor - switching yard
- freight train conductor
- front-end brakeman/woman
- passenger train conductor
- railway conductor
- road freight brakeman/woman
- tail-end brakeman/woman
- Railway and yard locomotive engineers (See 73310 Railway and yard locomotive engineers)
- Supervisors, railway transport operations (See 72023 Supervisors, railway transport operations)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of passenger and freight train crew members (except locomotive engineers) to ensure train operations are in accordance with schedule, train orders and code of operating rules
- Receive train orders and explain orders to brakemen/women, locomotive engineer and other crew members
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to give and receive train operation information
- Collect fares on board passenger trains, announce approaching train stops and answer passenger enquiries
- Prepare train run reports.
- Check train systems and equipment such as air conditioning and heating systems, brakes and brake hoses prior to train run
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to aid in the movement and operation of train
- Receive orders from traffic controllers, observe signals and track conditions and open and close track switches
- Set and release hand brakes and connect air brake hoses to couple and switch passenger or freight cars, making minor repairs to couplings, air hoses and wheel-bearing boxes as required
- Assist in collecting fares and helping passengers on and off train.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Experience as a brakeman/woman is required for conductors.
- Experience as a railway worker is usually required for brakemen/women.
- Railway conductors require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
- Brakemen/women require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
- With experience, brakemen/women may progress to railway conductors.
- With experience, railway conductors may progress to locomotive engineers.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: