National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 73 - General trades
- 733 - Transportation occupations
- 7331 - Train crew operating occupations
73310 - Railway and yard locomotive engineers
Railway locomotive engineers operate railway locomotives to transport passengers and freight. They are employed by railway transport companies. Yard locomotive engineers operate locomotives within yards of railway, industrial or other establishments. They are employed by railway transport companies and industrial or commercial users of rail transport.
- locomotive engineer - railway
- railway engineer
- switch engineer - railway
- transfer hostler - railway
- yard engineer - railway
- Light rail transit operator (See 73301 Bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators)
- Subway train operator (See 73301 Bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators)
- Supervisors, railway transport operations (See 72023 Supervisors, railway transport operations)
- Train dispatcher (See 72604 Railway traffic controllers and marine traffic regulators)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Railway locomotive engineers
- Operate locomotives to transport passengers and freight on railways
- Operate communication systems to communicate with train crews and traffic controllers to ensure safe operation and scheduling of trains
- Inspect assigned locomotives and test operating controls and equipment.
Yard locomotive engineers
- Operate locomotives to switch, couple and uncouple cars for loading and unloading
- Perform switching operations according to written switching orders or dispatched instructions
- Inspect locomotives, replenish fuel or perform routine maintenance on locomotives.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Experience as a conductor is required for railway locomotive engineers and may be required for yard locomotive engineers.
- Experience as a railway yard worker may be required for yard locomotive engineers.
- Railway locomotive engineers require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
- Mobility between railway transport companies or between establishments employing locomotive engineers may be limited due to seniority provisions of collective agreements.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: