National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 7 - Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
- 72 - Technical trades and transportation officers and controllers
- 723 - Technical construction trades
- 7230 - Plumbers, pipefitters and gas fitters
72302 - Gas fitters
Gas fitters install, inspect, repair and maintain gas lines and gas equipment such as meters, regulators and heating units in residential, commercial and industrial establishments. They are employed by gas utility companies and gas servicing companies. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- gas fitter
- gas fitter apprentice
- gas servicer
- gas technician
- industrial gas fitter-tester
- Appliance servicers and repairers (See 72421 Appliance servicers and repairers)
- Gas fitters supervisor (See 72012 Contractors and supervisors, pipefitting trades)
- Plumbers (See 72300 Plumbers)
- Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers (See 72301 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Study drawings and specifications to determine the layout of the installation and materials required
- Measure and mark reference points for installation of gas lines and equipment
- Install and maintain gas meters and regulators and gas lines between gas unit and gas meter
- Install, maintain and service gas heating units and their components, such as burners, valves and automatic controls
- Test and replace defective equipment or components
- Test and adjust control mechanisms and check pipes and piping connections for gas leaks using gas detecting devices
- Attend to gas escape calls and assist in the investigation of gas fires and explosions
- Prepare reports on work performed and condition of facilities
- Advise clients regarding standards, safety features and maintenance of gas units and systems
- Convert motor vehicles or appliances to use natural gas fuels
- May repair and service gas appliances and related equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a two- or three-year gas fitter apprenticeship program
Several years of work experience in a pipefitting trade and completion of a high school, college or industry gas fitter program are required.
- Gas fitter trade certification is compulsory in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- A provincial gas fitter licence is usually required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: