National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 65 - Sales and service support occupations
- 653 - Support occupations in cleaning and related services
- 6532 - Service support and related occupations
65320 - Dry cleaning, laundry and related occupations
Dry cleaning and laundry machine operators operate machines to dry-clean or launder garments and other articles. Dry cleaning and laundry inspectors and assemblers check finished garments and other articles to ensure that they meet required standards for dry-cleaning, laundering and pressing, and assemble and bag finished garments and other articles. This unit group also includes workers who iron, press or otherwise finish garments and household articles. They are employed in dry cleaning, laundry and fur cleaning establishments, and in the laundries of hotels, hospitals and other institutions.
- assembler - laundry and dry cleaning
- bagger - laundry and dry cleaning
- drapery cleaner
- dry cleaner
- dyer - laundry and dry cleaning
- finisher - laundry and dry cleaning
- fur cleaner - laundry and dry cleaning
- hand finisher - laundry and dry cleaning
- inspector - laundry and dry cleaning
- laundry machine operator
- laundry worker
- leather cleaner - laundry and dry cleaning
- presser - laundry and dry cleaning
- pressing machine tender - laundry and dry cleaning
- silk finisher - laundry and dry cleaning
- steam finisher - laundry and dry cleaning
- suede cleaner - laundry and dry cleaning
- Alterations dressmaker AND alterations seamstress (See 64200 Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners)
- Dry cleaning service manager (See 60040 Managers in customer and personal services)
- Dry cleaning supervisor (See 62029 Other services supervisors)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Dry cleaning and laundry machine operators
- Operate dry cleaning machines to dry-clean dresses, suits, coats, sweaters and other garments, draperies, cushion covers and other articles
- Sort garments and operate washing machines and dryers to clean and dry clothing, sheets, blankets, towels and other articles
- Operate machines to clean and blow-dry fur garments
- Operate machines to dry-clean, dye, spray, re-oil, and re-buff suede and leather garments
- Mix and add detergents, dyes, bleaches, starches and other solutions and chemicals.
Dry cleaning and laundry inspectors and assemblers
- Check finished garments and other articles to ensure that they are properly dry-cleaned or laundered
- Record damaged or improperly dry-cleaned or laundered garments and other articles
- Use hand-held steam iron to touch up finished garments and other articles
- Assemble and bag finished garments and other articles
- Match invoices with tags on garments or other articles.
Ironing, pressing and finishing workers
- Operate finishing equipment such as steam pressers, and use hand irons to finish pants, jackets, shirts, skirts and other dry cleaned and laundered articles
- Hand iron laundered fine linens or dry-cleaned silk garments
- Operate fur ironing and glazing equipment to finish fur garments and other fur articles
- Fold and bag dry cleaned and laundered articles
- May operate laundering equipment.
Workers in this group may specialize in finishing suede, leather, fur and delicate articles.
- Some secondary school education is required.
- Four to eight weeks of on-the-job training are usually provided.
- Dry cleaning and laundry machine operators may require experience as inspectors or assemblers.
- Suede, leather and fur cleaners may require experience as dry cleaning or laundry machine operators.
- Progression to supervisory dry cleaning and laundry occupations is possible with additional training and experience.