National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 65 - Sales and service support occupations
- 653 - Support occupations in cleaning and related services
- 6531 - Cleaners
65312 - Janitors, caretakers and heavy-duty cleaners
Janitors, caretakers and heavy-duty cleaners clean and maintain the interior and exterior of commercial, institutional and residential buildings and their surrounding grounds. They are employed by office and apartment building management companies, condominium corporations, educational institutions, health care facilities, recreational and shopping facilities, religious, industrial and other establishments.
- heavy-duty cleaner
- industrial cleaner
- plant cleaner
- school janitor
- Cleaning supervisors (See 62024 Cleaning supervisors)
- General building maintenance workers and building superintendents (See 73201 General building maintenance workers and building superintendents)
- Light duty cleaners (See 65310 Light duty cleaners)
- Specialized cleaners (See 65311 Specialized cleaners)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Operate industrial vacuum cleaners to remove scraps, dirt, heavy debris and other refuse
- Wash windows, interior walls and ceilings
- Empty trash cans and other waste containers
- Sweep, mop, scrub and wax hallways, floors and stairs
- Clean snow and ice from walkways and parking areas
- Cut grass and tend grounds and plants
- Clean and disinfect washrooms and fixtures
- May move heavy furniture, equipment and supplies.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Previous cleaning experience may be required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: