National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 65 - Sales and service support occupations
- 652 - Support occupations in food, accommodation and tourism
- 6520 - Food support occupations
65202 - Meat cutters and fishmongers - retail and wholesale
Meat cutters and fishmongers prepare and package pieces of meat, poultry and fish that are sold by food retailers or wholesalers. They use tools to cut, trim and package meat, poultry and fish on a daily basis. They are employed in grocery stores, fish stores, or they may be self-employed.
- fishmonger - retail
- meat cutter - retail or wholesale
- supermarket meat cutter
- Butchers - retail and wholesale (See 63201 Butchers - retail and wholesale)
- Fish cutter - fish processing (See 94142 Fish and seafood plant workers)
- Industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers (See 94141 Industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers)
- Seafood sales clerk (See 64100 Retail salespersons and visual merchandisers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Grind meats and slice cooked meats using powered grinders and slicing machines
- Cut, weigh, package, label and price meat, meat products, fish and seafood for sale
- Suggest complementary and/or alternative meat or fish products to consumers
- Inspect the quality of meat, fish and seafood, expiry dates and ensure proper product rotation
- Ensure the maintenance of equipment, displays and work area
- Receive and store merchandise in accordance with the company's established standards
- Comply with government health and safety standards and occupational health and safety standards.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- On-the-job training in food stores is usually offered to meat cutters and fishmongers for retail sale.
- An apprenticeship program in meat cutting is available but voluntary.
- Trade certification for meat cutter is available, but voluntary, in Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: