National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 65 - Sales and service support occupations
- 652 - Support occupations in food, accommodation and tourism
- 6520 - Food support occupations
65200 - Food and beverage servers
Food and beverage servers take patrons' food and beverage orders and serve orders to patrons. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, bars, taverns, private clubs, banquet halls and similar establishments.
- banquet server
- captain waiter/waitress
- chief wine steward
- cocktail waiter/waitress
- food and beverage server
- formal service waiter/waitress
- wine steward
- banquet captain
- Food service supervisors (See 62020 Food service supervisors)
- Maîtres d'hôtel and hosts/hostesses (See 64300 Maîtres d'hôtel and hosts/hostesses)
- Restaurant and food service managers (See 60030 Restaurant and food service managers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Greet patrons, present menus, make recommendations and answer questions regarding food and beverages
- Take orders and relay to kitchen and bar staff
- Recommend wines that complement patrons' meals
- Serve food and beverages
- Prepare and serve specialty foods at patrons' tables
- Present bill to patrons and accept payment
- May order and maintain inventory of wines and wine glassware
- May perform sensory evaluation of wines.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Formal waiters/waitresses may require completion of a one- or two-year apprenticeship program
College or vocational school courses.
- An apprenticeship program for food and beverage servers is available, but voluntary, in Quebec and Saskatchewan.
- On-the-job training is usually provided.
- Sommeliers may require courses in wine selection and service
Experience as a formal waiter/waitress.
- Responsible beverage service certification is usually required for employees serving alcoholic beverages.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: