National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 64 - Sales and service representatives and other customer and personal services occupations
- 644 - Occupations in customer, information and protective services
- 6441 - Security guards and related security service occupations
64410 - Security guards and related security service occupations
Security guards and workers in related security service occupations guard and implement security measures to protect property against theft, vandalism and fire; to control access to establishments; to maintain order and enforce regulations at public events and within establishments; to perform screening of passengers, luggage or cargo; to conduct private investigations for clients or employers and to provide other protective services not elsewhere classified. They are employed by public or private security agencies, residential complexes, educational, cultural, financial and health institutions, retail establishments, investigation service companies, transportation facilities, and organizations throughout the public and private sectors, or they may be self-employed.
- alarm investigator
- armoured car guard
- bodyguard (except police)
- corporate security officer
- house detective
- night guard
- postal inspection officer
- private investigator
- private security officer
- screening officer
- security guard
- store detective
- theft prevention officer
- Correctional service officers (See 43201 Correctional service officers)
- Police investigators and other investigative occupations (See 41310 Police investigators and other investigative occupations)
- Private investigation and security service manager (See 10029 Other business services managers)
- Security guard supervisor (See 62029 Other services supervisors)
- Security service manager (See 10029 Other business services managers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Control access to establishments, operate security control-room equipment and patrol assigned areas to guard against theft, vandalism and fire
- Enforce regulations to maintain order and resolve conflicts and to monitor establishment activities
- Ensure safety and emergency procedures are followed
- Issue passes and direct visitors to appropriate areas and check age identification of patrons.
- Inspect and screen luggage or cargo using equipment or hands
- Perform searches of passengers with tools or by hand
- Monitor and screen passengers through screening checkpoints and other procedures.
Armoured car guards
- Drive and guard armoured trucks, pick-up and deliver cash and valuables to banks, automated teller machines and retail establishments.
Corporate security officers
- Investigate unlawful acts of employees or patrons of establishments
- Recommend security systems such as electronic detection devices and access devices.
- Conduct investigations to locate missing persons
- Obtain information for use in civil and criminal litigation matters or for other purposes
- May also conduct polygraph tests (integrity surveys) for clients.
Retail loss prevention officers
- Prevent and detect shoplifting and theft in retail establishments.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A college diploma in law and security or police technology may be required.
- Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) certification is required for screening officers.
- Security guards carrying firearms require a licence.
- Armoured car drivers require a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) for both restricted and non-restricted firearms.
- In Quebec, a permit issued by the Bureau de la sécurité privée (BSP) is required to work as a private detective or security officer.
- Corporate security officers may require experience as a police officer.
- Private investigators require provincial licensure.
- Certification for responsible beverage service is mandatory for security staff in establishments serving alcoholic beverages in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Prince Edward Island.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: