National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 64 - Sales and service representatives and other customer and personal services occupations
- 643 - Occupations in food, accommodation and tourism
- 6430 - Occupations in food and beverage service
64300 - Maîtres d'hôtel and hosts/hostesses
Maîtres d'hôtel and hosts/hostesses greet patrons and escort them to tables, and supervise and coordinate the activities of food and beverage servers. They are employed in restaurants, hotel dining rooms, private clubs, cocktail lounges and similar establishments.
- chief host/hostess - food services
- dining room host/hostess
- maître d'
- restaurant host/hostess
- Food and beverage servers (See 65200 Food and beverage servers)
- Food service supervisors (See 62020 Food service supervisors)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Receive and record patrons' reservations and assign tables
- Greet patrons and escort them to tables or other seating areas
- Speak with patrons to ensure satisfaction with food and service, and attend to complaints
- Order dining room supplies and equipment
- Inspect dining and serving areas and equipment
- Supervise and coordinate activities of food and beverage servers and other serving staff
- Accept payment from patrons for food and beverages
- Maintain financial statements and records
- Prepare work schedules and payrolls
- Interview candidates for food and beverage server positions and train new employees
- May be responsible for marketing and advertising the dining establishment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several weeks of on-the-job training are usually required.
- Maîtres d'hôtel require experience as a formal or captain waiter/waitress or other food service experience.