National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 63 - Occupations in sales and services
- 632 - Occupations in services
- 6320 - Cooks, butchers and bakers
63202 - Bakers
Bakers prepare bread, rolls, muffins, pies, pastries, cakes and cookies in retail and wholesale bakeries and dining establishments. They are employed in bakeries, supermarkets, catering companies, hotels, restaurants, hospitals, and other institutions, or they may be self-employed. Bakers who are supervisors are included in this unit group. Apprentices are also included in this unit group.
- baker apprentice
- bakery supervisor
- bread baker
- head baker
- chocolate maker
- Bakery machine operator - food and beverage processing (See 94140 Process control and machine operators, food and beverage processing)
- Pastry chef (See 62200 Chefs)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare dough for pies, bread, rolls and sweet goods, batters for muffins, cookies and cakes and icings and frostings according to recipes or special customer orders
- Bake mixed doughs and batters
- Frost and decorate cakes or other baked goods
- Ensure quality of products meets established standards
- Draw up production schedule to determine type and quantity of goods to produce
- Purchase baking supplies
- May oversee sales and merchandising of baked goods
- May hire, train and supervise baking personnel and kitchen staff.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship program for bakers
completion of a college or other program for bakers
several years of commercial baking experience is usually required.
- On-the-job training may be provided.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified bakers upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.