National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 6 - Sales and service occupations
- 62 - Retail sales and service supervisors and specialized occupations in sales and services
- 621 - Specialized sales occupations
- 6210 - Technical sales specialists in wholesale trade and retail and wholesale buyers
62100 - Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade
Technical sales specialists in wholesale trade, sell a range of technical goods and services, such as scientific, agricultural and industrial products, electricity, telecommunications services and computer services, to governments and to commercial and industrial establishments in domestic and international localities. They are employed by establishments that produce or provide technical goods and services, such as pharmaceutical companies, industrial equipment manufacturing companies, grain elevators, computer services firms, engineering firms and hydroelectric companies, or they may be self-employed technical sales specialists/agents who contract their services to other companies. Technical sales specialists in wholesale trade who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- aircraft sales representative
- communication equipment sales representative
- construction equipment sales representative
- electricity sales representative
- heavy equipment sales representative
- industrial supplies sales representative
- medical instruments sales agent
- software sales representative
- technical sales representative
- technical sales supervisor
- technical support specialist - wholesale trade
- sales engineer
- Advertising, marketing and public relations managers (See 10022 Advertising, marketing and public relations managers)
- Retail salespersons and visual merchandisers (See 64100 Retail salespersons and visual merchandisers)
- Sales and account representatives - wholesale trade (non-technical) (See 64101 Sales and account representatives - wholesale trade (non-technical))
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Maintain and grow sales relationships with existing clients
- Identify and solicit potential clients
- Assess clients' needs, recommend or assist in the selection of appropriate goods or services, and negotiate prices or other sales terms
- Provide input into product design where goods or services must be tailored to suit clients' needs
- Develop sales presentations, proposals, or other materials to illustrate benefits from use of good or service
- Estimate costs of installing and maintaining equipment or service
- Prepare and administer sales contracts and maintain customer records
- Consult with clients after sale to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support
- Troubleshoot technical problems related to equipment
- Assess market conditions and competitors' activities and develop an awareness of emerging markets and trends
- Develop and maintain technical product or service knowledge to explain features to clients and answer questions about goods or services
- May offer training in the operation and maintenance of equipment
- Develop, implement and report on sales strategies to achieve business goals
- May supervise the activities of other technical staff and sales specialists.
Technical sales specialists usually specialize in a particular line of goods or services.
- A university degree or college diploma in a program related to the product or service is usually required.
- Experience in sales or in a technical occupation related to the product or service may be required.
- Fluency in a specific foreign language, and/or foreign work or travel experience may be required for technical sales specialists seeking employment with companies that import or export technical goods or services.
- Technical sales supervisors require experience as a technical sales specialist.
- A driver's licence and a good driving record may be required.
- Extensive company training programs for technical sales specialists may be provided by employers.
- Progression to sales management positions is possible with additional training or experience.