National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 4 - Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services
- 44 - Care providers and legal and public protection support occupations
- 441 - Home care provider occupations
- 4410 - Home care provider occupations
44101 - Home support workers, caregivers and related occupations
Home support workers, caregivers and related occupations, provide personal care and companionship for seniors, persons with disabilities and convalescent clients. They provide care in the client's residence, where they may also reside. They are employed by home care and support agencies, private households, or they may be self-employed.
- attendant for persons with disabilities - home care
- family caregiver
- home support worker
- live-in caregiver
- live-in caregiver - seniors
- personal aide - home support
- personal care attendant - home care
- respite worker - home support
- Home child care providers (See 44100 Home child care providers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Provide care and companionship for individuals and families during periods of incapacitation, convalescence or family disruption
- Administer bedside and personal care to clients such as aid in ambulation, bathing, personal hygiene, and dressing and undressing
- Plan and prepare meals and special diets, and feed or assist in feeding clients
- May perform routine health-related duties such as changing non-sterile dressings, assisting in the administration of medications and collecting specimens under the general direction of home care agency supervisor or nurse
- May perform routine housekeeping duties such as laundry, washing dishes and making beds.
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- Home management experience may be required.
- College or other courses in home support may be required.
- First aid certification may be required.
- Completion of a training program in care of the elderly, care of persons with disabilities, convalescent care or in a related field may be required.
- There is mobility among the occupations in this group.