National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 4 - Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services
- 43 - Assisting occupations in education and in legal and public protection
- 431 - Assisting occupations in education
- 4310 - Assisting occupations in education
43100 - Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants support students, and assist teachers and counsellors with teaching and non-instructional tasks. They assist in areas of personal care, teaching and behaviour management under the supervision of teachers or other child care professionals. They are employed in public and private elementary, secondary and special needs schools and treatment centres.
- educational assistant
- educational resources assistant
- homework assistant
- remedial education aide
- special education assistant
- Early childhood educators and assistants (See 42202 Early childhood educators and assistants)
- Elementary school and kindergarten teachers (See 41221 Elementary school and kindergarten teachers)
- Instructors of persons with disabilities (See 42203 Instructors of persons with disabilities)
- Post-secondary teaching and research assistants (See 41201 Post-secondary teaching and research assistants)
- Student monitors, crossing guards and related occupations (See 45100 Student monitors, crossing guards and related occupations)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Assist students with integration into the classroom and school setting
- Help students individually or in small groups with assignments and reinforce learning and retention concepts under the supervision of the classroom teacher
- Assist students with special needs using techniques such as sign language, braille and remedial programs
- Monitor and report student progress to classroom teacher
- Accompany and supervise students during activities in school gymnasiums, laboratories, libraries, resource centres and on field trips
- May assist teacher in the operation of projectors, tape recorders and other audio-visual or electronic equipment
- May assist in school library or office and perform other duties assigned by the school principal
- May monitor students during recess, at noon hour or during the day.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Teacher assistants usually require completion of a 10-month college program in teaching assistance, educational assistance or other social science program.
- Teacher assistants who help students with special needs usually require specialized training and experience.
- Mobility to other occupations related to child care and adolescent supportive instruction is possible with experience.