National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 4 - Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services
- 41 - Professional occupations in law, education, social, community and government services
- 412 - Professional occupations in education services
- 4120 - University professors and post-secondary assistants
41201 - Post-secondary teaching and research assistants
Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges.
- college laboratory assistant
- college teaching assistant
- graduate assistant - university
- post-secondary research assistant
- university research assistant
- tutor - post-secondary teaching assistant
- Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants (See 43100 Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants)
- Other instructors (See 43109 Other instructors)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Post-secondary teaching assistants
- Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures
- Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
- Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
- Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.
- Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
- Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
Post-secondary teaching and research assistants specialize in a subject matter based on their field of study.
- Enrolment in, or completion of, a university or college program is required.