National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 2 - Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
- 21 - Professional occupations in natural and applied sciences
- 212 - Professional occupations in applied sciences (except engineering)
- 2123 - Computer, software and Web designers and developers
21233 - Web designers
Web designers develop and create the visual presentation, layout and functionality of websites and related applications. They are responsible for ensuring that the website is easy to use, and that the information is easy to access. Web designers are employed in computer software development firms, information technology consulting firms, information technology units throughout the public and private sectors, advertising agencies or they may be self-employed.
- Internet site designer
- Intranet site designer
- Web designer
- Computer network and web technicians (See 22220 Computer network and web technicians)
- Electronic business (e-business) manager (See 10022 Advertising, marketing and public relations managers)
- Graphic designers and illustrators (See 52120 Graphic designers and illustrators)
- Information systems specialists (See 21222 Information systems specialists)
- Information systems testing technicians (See 22222 Information systems testing technicians)
- Web developers and programmers (See 21234 Web developers and programmers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Establish design guidelines, standards and optimal design practices
- Maintain the appearance of websites by applying content standards
- Designing visual imagery for websites and ensuring that it is consistent with the organization image
- Integrate features and functionalities into Web sites
- Create and optimize content for the Web site using a variety of graphics, database, animation and other software
- Test and improve the design of a Web site
- May lead and coordinate multidisciplinary teams to develop Web site graphics, content, capacity and interactivity.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or graphic design or completion or a college program in computer science, graphic arts, or Web design is required.
- Experience as a graphic designer is usually required.