National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 2 - Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
- 21 - Professional occupations in natural and applied sciences
- 212 - Professional occupations in applied sciences (except engineering)
- 2123 - Computer, software and Web designers and developers
21232 - Software developers and programmers
Software developers and programmers design, write, and test code for new systems and software to ensure efficiency. They create the foundations for operative systems and run diagnostic programs to certify effectiveness. They are employed in computer software, computer and video game development firms, information technology consulting firms, and in information technology units throughout the public and private sectors.
- application programmer
- computer game developer
- electronic business (e-business) software developer
- interactive media developer
- multimedia developer
- software developer
- software programmer
- Computer applications engineer (See 21231 Software engineers and designers)
- Computer network and web technicians (See 22220 Computer network and web technicians)
- Computer systems developers and programmers (See 21230 Computer systems developers and programmers)
- Database analysts and data administrators (See 21223 Database analysts and data administrators)
- Electronic business (e-business) manager (See 10022 Advertising, marketing and public relations managers)
- Graphic designers and illustrators (See 52120 Graphic designers and illustrators)
- Information systems specialists (See 21222 Information systems specialists)
- Information systems testing technicians (See 22222 Information systems testing technicians)
- Web designers (See 21233 Web designers)
- Web developers and programmers (See 21234 Web developers and programmers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Design, write, read, test, and correct code for new software
- Analyze information to recommend and plan the installation of new systems or modifications of an existing system
- Evaluate simple interrelationships between programs such as whether a contemplated change in one part of a program would cause unwanted results in a related part
- Program animation software to predefined specifications for interactive video games, Internet and mobile applications
- Write, modify, integrate and test software code for e-commerce, Internet and mobile applications
- Develop, implement, modify and maintain gameplay features that integrate effectively into existing software
- Write documentation for new and updated software.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or software engineering or in another discipline with a significant programming component or completion of a college program in computer science or related field is usually required.
- Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.
- Progression to software engineer is possible with experience.