National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0


Statistics Canada's Trust Centre: Learn how Statistics Canada keeps your data safe and protects your privacy.

21109 - Other professional occupations in physical sciences

Professionals in other physical sciences occupations conduct theoretical and applied research in fields of physical science. Metallurgists, soil scientists and physical scientists and researchers are included in this unit group. They are employed by governments, educational institutions and a wide range of industrial establishments.

  • Illustrative example(s)

    • astronaut
    • ballistics examiner
    • materials scientist
    • metallurgist
    • physical metallurgist
    • research scientist - ceramics
    • research scientist - composite materials
    • soil scientist

    All examples

  • Exclusion(s)

    • Air pilots, flight engineers and flying instructors (See 72600 Air pilots, flight engineers and flying instructors)
    • Architecture and science managers (See 20011 Architecture and science managers)
    • Chemists (See 21101 Chemists)
    • Metallurgical and materials engineers (See 21322 Metallurgical and materials engineers)
  • Main duties

    This group performs some or all of the following duties:


    • Conduct studies into the properties and production of metals and alloys.

    Soil scientists

    • Conduct research into the composition, distribution and evolution of soils.

    Materials scientists

    • Conduct research into the properties, composition and production of materials such as ceramics and composite materials.


    • Command, pilot or serve as crew members of a spacecraft to conduct scientific experiments and research, and participate in space missions as mission specialists to maintain spacecraft, install and repair space station equipment and launch and recapture satellites.
  • Employment requirements

    • A bachelor's degree in metallurgy, physics, chemistry, or a related physical science discipline is required.
    • A master's or doctoral degree is usually required for employment as a research scientist.
    • Advanced degrees in a broad range of applied science areas, such as engineering or medicine
      Licences may be required for some occupations in this unit group.
  • Additional information

    • Mobility between specializations in this group may be possible with experience.
    • Mobility is possible with experience, to other fields of physical science or to management or regulatory program management.
Report a problem on this page

Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?

Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.

Privacy notice

Date modified: