National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 1 - Business, finance and administration occupations
- 14 - Administrative and financial support and supply chain logistics occupations
- 144 - Supply chain logistics, tracking and scheduling coordination occupations
- 1440 - Supply chain logistics, tracking and scheduling coordination occupations
14400 - Shippers and receivers
Shippers and receivers ship, receive and record the movement of parts, supplies, materials, equipment and stock to and from an establishment. They are employed in the public sector and by retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturing companies, and other commercial and industrial establishments.
- freight receiver
- freight shipper
- import freight clerk
- shipping agent
- shipping and receiving clerk
- supply chain assistant
- Export clerk (See 14301 Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks)
- Import clerk (See 14301 Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks)
- Material handlers (See 75101 Material handlers)
- Purchasing and inventory control workers (See 14403 Purchasing and inventory control workers)
- Storekeepers and partspersons (See 14401 Storekeepers and partspersons)
- Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling coordination occupations (See 12013 Supervisors, supply chain, tracking and scheduling coordination occupations)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Determine method of shipment and arrange shipping; prepare bills of lading, customs forms, invoices and other shipping documents manually or by computer
- Assemble containers and crates, record contents manually or by computer, pack goods to be shipped and affix identifying information and shipping instructions
- Oversee loading and unloading of goods from trucks or other conveyances
- Inspect and verify incoming goods against invoices or other documents, record shortages and reject damaged goods
- Unpack, code and route goods to appropriate storage areas
- Maintain internal, manual or computerized record-keeping systems
- May operate forklift, hand truck or other equipment to load, unload, transport and store goods.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Experience in a related clerical occupation or as a warehouse worker may be required.
- A forklift certificate may be required.
- A driver's licence may be required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.