National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 1 - Business, finance and administration occupations
- 14 - Administrative and financial support and supply chain logistics occupations
- 141 - Office, court, and data support occupations
- 1411 - Survey, statistical and data entry occupations
14112 - Desktop publishing operators and related occupations
Desktop publishing operators and workers in related occupations use computers to enter copy into a typesetting system or operate typesetting output equipment to produce text that is ready to print. They are employed by firms that specialize in typesetting, commercial printing companies, publishing and printing companies and various establishments in the public and private sectors that have in-house printing departments.
- braille keyboard operator - typesetting
- compositor - typesetting
- computer typesetter
- copy marker - typesetting
- desktop compositor
- desktop publishing (DTP) operator
- input operator - typesetting
- markup person - typesetting
- output operator - typesetting
- photocomposition typesetter
- phototypesetting machine operator
- terminal operator
- Desktop publishing operators supervisor (See 12010 Supervisors, general office and administrative support workers)
- File preparation operator (See 94151 Camera, platemaking and other prepress occupations)
- Graphic arts copy stylist (See 52111 Graphic arts technicians)
- Graphic designers and illustrators (See 52120 Graphic designers and illustrators)
- Paste-up artist (See 52111 Graphic arts technicians)
- Pre-flight operator - printing (See 94151 Camera, platemaking and other prepress occupations)
- Proofreader (See 14301 Correspondence, publication and regulatory clerks)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Desktop publishing operators
- Operate desktop publishing software and equipment to design, lay out and produce camera-ready copy and may perform pre-flight operator duties
- Mark copy with computer codes and typographic instructions before it is typeset
Typesetting input and output operators
- Input copy, codes or commands and subsequent corrections into typesetting device or system
- Operate media conversion equipment to process and format copy transmitted through telecommunications
- Operate and tend typesetting output devices, load and process photosensitive material and perform routine maintenance.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program in graphic arts, or other training in typography, computer typesetting or desktop publishing, is usually required.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible through experience.