National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
- 1 - Business, finance and administration occupations
- 11 - Professional occupations in finance and business
- 111 - Professional occupations in finance
- 1110 - Auditors, accountants and investment professionals
11103 - Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers
Securities agents and investment dealers buy and sell stocks, bonds, treasury bills, mutual funds and other securities for individual investors, pension fund managers, banks, trust companies, insurance firms and other establishments. Brokers buy and sell stocks, bonds, commodity futures, foreign currencies and other securities at stock exchanges on behalf of investment dealers. They are employed by investment companies, stock brokerage firms, stock and commodity exchanges and other establishments in the securities industry.
- bond dealer
- commodity broker
- discount broker
- floor trader - commodity exchange
- foreign exchange trader
- investment dealer
- mutual fund broker
- mutual fund sales representative
- registered investment representative
- registered representatives supervisor
- securities agent
- securities sales agent
- securities trader
- Financial and investment analysts (See 11101 Financial and investment analysts)
- Financial brokerage manager (See 10020 Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers)
- Other financial officers (See 11109 Other financial officers)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Securities agents and investment dealers
- Develop long-term relationships with their clients by preparing investment strategies to help them achieve their financial goals, offering advice and information on various investments to guide them in managing their portfolios
- Review financial periodicals, stock and bond reports, business publications and other material, and develop a network within the financial industry to gather relevant information and identify potential investments for clients
- Carry out investment orders by buying and selling stocks, bonds, treasury bills, mutual funds and other securities for individual investors, pension fund managers or companies such as banks, trust companies and insurance firms
- Monitor clients' investment portfolios and ensure that investment transactions are carried out according to industry regulations.
- Buy and sell stocks, bonds, commodity futures, foreign currencies and other securities at stock exchanges on behalf of investment dealers
- Develop trading strategies by reviewing investment information and monitoring market conditions from the exchange floor and through contact with trading departments of other investment firms, pension fund managers and investment company financial analysts
- Make bids and offers to buy and sell securities and complete details of sales on exchange trade tickets
- Prepare reviews of portfolios' positions.
- A bachelor's or master's degree in economics, business or other discipline is usually required.
- A recognized financial designation may be required (CFA, CFP, CIM or others).
- Securities sales representatives and brokers require completion of industry investment and sales training programs and completion of licensing courses such as the Canadian Securities Course and the Conduct and Practices Handbook Course offered by the Canadian Securities Institute, or acceptable alternatives such as completion of one or more levels of the CFA Program, offered by CFA Institute.
- Specialized courses are also available for securities sales representatives and brokers who want to trade in specific investment products such as securities options and futures contracts.
- Licensure by the provincial securities commission in the province of employment or a recognized self-regulatory organization is required for securities agents, investment dealers and brokers.
- Progression to related management positions is possible with experience.
Report a problem on this page
Is something not working? Is there information outdated? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please contact us and let us know how we can help you.
- Date modified: