National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0
This broad category comprises middle management occupations in wholesale and retail trade, and customer services, as well as occupations concerned with wholesale and retail sales, and customer, personal and support service occupations related to a wide range of industries, such as accommodation and food services, travel, tourism and cleaning services.
This major group comprises middle management occupations in retail and wholesale trade and customer services. These occupations come with Training, Education, Experience and Responsibility (TEER) identified as TEER 0. The occupations classified under TEER 0, as those included in this group with zero (0) as the second digit of their code, are considered management occupations.
This sub-major group comprises middle management occupations in retail and wholesale trade and customer services, including corporate sales managers; retail and wholesale trade managers; managers in food service and accommodation; and managers in customer and personal services.
This minor group comprises retail and wholesale trade managers. They are employed by retail and wholesale sales establishments; or they may own and operate their own stores (self-employed).
60020 - Retail and wholesale trade managers
Retail and wholesale trade managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail or wholesale basis. They are employed by retail and wholesale sales establishments or they may own and operate their own store.
- antique dealer
- assistant manager - retail
- automobile repair shop manager
- bookstore manager
- car dealership manager
- cattle dealer
- clothing store manager
- department store manager
- pleasure boat dealer
- sporting goods store manager
- store manager - retail
- supermarket manager
- variety store manager
- Advertising, marketing and public relations managers (See 10022 Advertising, marketing and public relations managers)
- Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers (See 10020 Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers)
- Restaurant and food service managers (See 60030 Restaurant and food service managers)
- Retail sales supervisors (See 62010 Retail sales supervisors)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, direct and evaluate the operations of establishments engaged in wholesale and retail sales or of departments in such establishments
- Manage staff and assign duties
- Study market research and trends to determine consumer demand, potential sales volumes and effect of competitors' operations on sales
- Determine merchandise and services to be sold, and implement price and credit policies
- Source and negotiate with vendors when necessary to procure merchandise for resale
- Develop and implement marketing strategies
- Plan budgets, authorize expenditures, and monitor revenues
- Evaluate and improve customer service and respond to customer requests and issues
- Address staffing requirements, including the hiring, development and retention of staff
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- A university degree or college diploma in business administration or other field related to the product or service being sold may be required.
- Several years of related retail or wholesale sales experience at increasing levels of responsibility are usually required
- There is some mobility between managers in this unit group, depending on the product or service.