National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 Version 1.0


Statistics Canada's Trust Centre: Learn how Statistics Canada keeps your data safe and protects your privacy.

3 - Health occupations

This broad category comprises specialized middle management occupations in health care, as well as occupations concerned with providing health care services directly to patients (professional and technical occupations in health) and occupations that provide support to health services.

31 - Professional occupations in health

This major group comprises professional occupations in health, including health treating and consultation services professionals; therapy and assessment professionals; and nursing and allied health professionals. These occupations come with Training, Education, Experience and Responsibility (TEER) identified as TEER 1. Occupations classified in TEER 1, as those in this group with a 1 as the second digit of their code, typically require a university degree (bachelor's, master's or doctorate) or the accumulation several years of experience and expertise in the subject matter knowledge in a related occupation found in TEER 2, when applicable (which includes occupations with a 2 as a second digit in their code).

311 - Health treating and consultation services professionals

This sub-major group comprises health treating and consultation services professionals, including physicians and veterinarians; dentists, optometrists and audiologists; and pharmacists and dietitians.

3110 - Physicians and veterinarians

This minor group comprises physicians and veterinarians, including specialists in clinical and laboratory medicine; specialists in surgery; and general practitioners and family physicians. They work in private practice, hospitals, clinics, and public health facilities; animal clinics, and farms; laboratories, universities, and government.

3111 - Dentists, optometrists and audiologists

This minor group comprises dentists, optometrists and audiologists and speech-language pathologists. They work in private practice, in hospitals, clinics, and public health facilities; laboratories; educational institutions; rehabilitation centres; and government; and in the dental and optical industries.

3112 - Pharmacists and dietitians

This minor group comprises pharmacists, dietitians and nutritionists. They are employed by retail and hospital pharmacies, home health-care agencies, extended care facilities, and community health centres; pharmaceutical companies; educational institutions, sports organizations, and government departments and agencies; in the pharmaceutical, and food and beverage industries; or they may be self-employed.

Date modified: