National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 9 - Occupations in manufacturing and utilities
- 96 - Labourers in processing, manufacturing and utilities
- 961 - Labourers in processing, manufacturing and utilities
9618 - Labourers in fish and seafood processing
Labourers in fish and seafood processing perform clean-up, packaging, material handling and other elemental activities related to fish and seafood processing. They are employed in fish and seafood processing and packaging plants.
- cannery labourer
- fish briner - fish processing
- fish plant labourer
- fish salter - fish processing
- fish weigher
- shellfish labourer
- shellfish packer - fish processing
- Fish and seafood plant workers (See 9463 Fish and seafood plant workers)
- Foremen/women of workers in fish and seafood processing (See 9213 Supervisors, food and beverage processing)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Unload fish and shellfish from fishing vessels and transport them by hand or forklift truck to work area in fish processing plant
- Immerse fresh fish fillets in brine solution to condition them for wrapping or freezing
- Weigh fish or shellfish, record weight and pack fish in ice
- Sort fish according to species, weight and destination
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Transport supplies and packaging materials throughout plant and storage area manually or with powered equipment
- Measure and dump ingredients into hoppers of mixing and grinding machines.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- Progression to other occupations in the fish processing industry is possible with experience.