National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 9 - Occupations in manufacturing and utilities
- 96 - Labourers in processing, manufacturing and utilities
- 961 - Labourers in processing, manufacturing and utilities
9614 - Labourers in wood, pulp and paper processing
Labourers in wood, pulp and paper processing carry out a variety of general labouring and routine wood processing activities and assist pulp mill and papermaking machine operators. They are employed by pulp and paper, and paper converting companies, sawmills, planing mills, wood treatment plants, waferboard plants and other wood processing companies.
- beater operator helper - pulp and paper
- chip bin attendant - wood processing
- conveyor cleaner - pulp and paper
- green wood chainman/woman - wood processing
- grinder feeder - pulp and paper
- labourer - pulp and paper
- labourer - wood processing
- lumber straightener - wood processing
- plywood dryer feeder
- sheeter helper - pulp and paper
- utility man/woman - pulp and paper
- Machine operators and related workers in pulp and paper production and wood processing and manufacturing (See 943 Machine operators and related workers in pulp and paper production and wood processing and manufacturing)
- Supervisors, forest products processing (See 9215 Supervisors, forest products processing)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Feed logs onto conveyor and into hopper of grinding machine and align logs manually, using crowbar, picaroon or other tools and equipment
- Load wood chips, pulpwood, sulphur and other processing materials onto conveyors or processing tanks, remove recyclable paper and pulp from pulp and papermaking machines and transport recyclable paper and pulp to plant processing machines and equipment using forklift or other powered equipment
- Sort, pile and transport lumber, veneer sheets, panelboards and similar wood products during various stages of wood processing, manually or with powered equipment
- Remove scrap lumber and wood chips for reprocessing using forklift or other powered equipment
- Feed conveyors, saws, drying machines and other equipment to process lumber, shingles, veneer, plywood and similar wood products
- Clean wood processing machines and equipment and work areas using shovels, hoses and other tools
- Assist other wood processing workers to operate, maintain and repair various machines and equipment and carry out other wood processing activities.
- Completion of secondary school is required by the pulp and paper industry and by other large employers.
- There is considerable mobility among jobs within individual establishments.
- Progression to machine or plant operating positions is possible with experience.