National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 9 - Occupations in manufacturing and utilities
- 95 - Assemblers in manufacturing
- 953 - Other assembly and related occupations
9536 - Industrial painters, coaters and metal finishing process operators
Industrial painters and coaters operate and tend machines or use brushes and spray equipment to apply paint, enamel, lacquer or other non-metallic protective and decorative coatings to surfaces of various products. Metal finishing process operators operate machines or equipment to deposit metallized substances on workpieces and surfaces to provide decorative, protective and restorative coatings. These workers are employed by manufacturing companies and custom refinishing, coating and plating shops.
- assembly line painter
- automatic paint-sprayer operator
- automobile painter - motor vehicle manufacturing
- aviation painter
- ceramic and enamel refinisher
- coating machine operator - industrial painting and coating
- electrogalvanizing machine operator
- enameller - ship and boat building
- hot-dip galvanizer - metal plating
- industrial products painter
- metal coater operator
- metal electroplater
- production painter-finisher
- spray paint operator
- Autobody repair painters (See 7322 Motor vehicle body repairers)
- Construction painters (See 7294 Painters and decorators (except interior decorators))
- Etchers - metal machining (See 9417 Machining tool operators)
- Furniture finishers and refinishers (See 9534 Furniture finishers and refinishers)
- Supervisors of non-automotive metal finishing workers (See 9226 Supervisors, other mechanical and metal products manufacturing)
- Supervisors of paint department workers - plastic and rubber manufacturing (See 9214 Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturing)
- Supervisors of paint shop workers - motor vehicle manufacturing (See 9221 Supervisors, motor vehicle assembling)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Industrial painters and coaters
- Select appropriate paint or mix paints using automated paint mixing equipment according to a predetermined formula
- Operate or tend equipment to clean, wash, strip, sand, remove corrosion, fill dents or otherwise prepare items for application of paint, lacquer or other protective or decorative coatings
- Operate or tend automated spray paint, dip or flow coating equipment or other mechanized painting or product coating application equipment
- Operate hand-held spray guns to spray paint or coat stationary items or items on moving conveyor system with protective or decorative coatings
- Paint small items and apply touch-ups using paint brushes
- Clean and maintain painting and coating, ventilation, compressed air and personal protective equipment
- May prepare and apply stencils, computer-generated decals or other decorative items on finished products.
Metal finishing process operators
- Prepare and mix metallizing solutions according to formulas or specifications
- Operate or tend equipment to clean, degrease, pickle and etch metal and non-metal surfaces to prepare workpieces with desired surface characteristics
- Tend automatic metal coating machines which convey objects through a series of cleaning, rinsing and plating solutions
- Operate and control electroplating equipment to coat metal and other workpieces
- Operate hot-dip metal plating equipment to galvanize metal and other workpieces
- Operate spray equipment to build up worn or damaged parts or to bond protective or decorative coatings on various objects
- Check proper thickness of plating using micrometers, calipers or other devices
- May operate equipment to polish metallic surfaces of products
- May tend ovens which cure metal coating.
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- Some experience in operating production machinery or equipment may be required.
- Several months of on-the-job training are usually provided.
- Some industrial painters, such as aviation painters, may require specialized training and certification or college courses.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.