National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 9 - Occupations in manufacturing and utilities
- 94 - Processing and manufacturing machine operators and related production workers
- 943 - Machine operators and related workers in pulp and paper production and wood processing and manufacturing
9437 - Woodworking machine operators
Woodworking machine operators set up, program and operate one or more woodworking machines to fabricate or repair wooden parts for furniture, fixtures or other wood products. They are employed in furniture, fixture and other wood products manufacturing establishments.
- boring machine operator - woodworking
- computer numerically controlled (CNC) band saw operator
- drill operator - woodworking
- drum sander - woodworking
- edge bander operator - woodworking
- glue machine operator - woodworking
- lathe operator - woodworking
- planer operator - woodworking
- rough mill operator - woodworking
- shaper - woodworking
- woodworking machine operator
- Cabinetmakers (See 7272 Cabinetmakers)
- Carpenters (See 7271 Carpenters)
- Supervisors of woodworking machine operators (See 9224 Supervisors, furniture and fixtures manufacturing)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Set up, program and operate one or more computer numerically controlled (CNC) or manual woodworking machines such as saws, moulders, lathes, routers, planers, edgers, pressing machines, shapers, drills and sanders to fabricate or repair wooden parts for furniture, fixtures and other wood products
- Operate gluing machines to glue pieces of wood together or press and affix wood veneer to wood surfaces
- Operate preset special-purpose woodworking machines to fabricate wood products such as coat hangers, mop handles, clothes pins and other products
- Read and interpret specifications or follow verbal instructions
- May clean and lubricate equipment, and replace parts as necessary.
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- On-the-job training is usually provided.
- Experience as a labourer in the same company may be required.
- Mobility is common among jobs in this unit group.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.