National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 5 - Occupations in art, culture, recreation and sport
- 52 - Technical occupations in art, culture, recreation and sport
- 524 - Creative designers and craftspersons
5244 - Artisans and craftspersons
Artisans and craftspersons use manual and artistic skills to design and make ornamental objects, pottery, stained glass, jewellery, rugs, blankets, other handicrafts and artistic floral arrangements. Makers of musical instruments are also included in this unit group. Most craftspersons are self-employed. Artistic floral arrangers are usually employed in florist shops and floral departments of retail establishments, or may be self-employed. Craft instructors are also included in this unit group and are employed by artisan guilds, colleges, private studios and recreational organizations.
- artistic floral arranger
- craft instructor (except education)
- glass blower
- lace weaver - arts and crafts
- leather worker
- metal arts worker
- screen printing artisan
- stained glass artist
- stringed instrument maker
- totem pole carver
- weaver - arts and crafts
- Cabinetmakers (See 7272 Cabinetmakers)
- Fabric making occupations in manufacturing (See 9442 Weavers, knitters and other fabric making occupations)
- Jewellers, jewellery and watch repairers and related occupations (See 6344 Jewellers, jewellery and watch repairers and related occupations)
- Painters, sculptors and other visual artists (See 5136 Painters, sculptors and other visual artists)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Use hand tools and woodworking machines to produce carvings from wood, stone and other materials and to carve ornamental designs into wooden furniture and other objects.
- Design and create glass objects using blowpipes and artisan's hand tools and equipment.
Metal arts workers
- Design metal jewellery, utensils, implements, wall hangings and other objects and create them from gold, silver, copper, pewter and other metals.
- Design ornamental and ceramic functional earthenware pieces and create them using clay, moulds, potter's wheels and other equipment, glazing materials and kilns.
Stained glass artists
- Design stained glass windows, lampshades and other objects and cut, paint, fire and assemble pieces of stained glass to create such products.
- Construct instruments by applying their knowledge of wood, ebonite, metal properties and other materials and instrument design using hand and power tools.
- Use hands or loom to interlace strips of flexible material such as wool, cotton, silk, grasses, bark and rawhide to make baskets, wreaths, wall hangings, clothing, rugs, blankets and other objects.
- Prepare craftmaking lessons, gather the required working materials and demonstrate and teach craftmaking techniques.
Artistic floral arrangers
- Design bouquets, corsages, sprays, wreaths and other floral arrangements and select natural and artificial flowers, foliage and decorative accessories to create arrangements or other floral items to suit customers' requirements.
- Skills are often learned through apprenticeship with a master craftsperson.
- Training programs are offered by artisan guilds, colleges and private studios.
- Creative ability and talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, and knowledge of safe handling of material, tools and equipment are required.
- A college diploma in fine craft techniques may be required.