National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2016 Version 1.3
- 5 - Occupations in art, culture, recreation and sport
- 52 - Technical occupations in art, culture, recreation and sport
- 522 - Photographers, graphic arts technicians and technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts
5224 - Broadcast technicians
Broadcast technicians install, set up, test, operate and repair electronic equipment used to record and transmit live and taped radio and television programs and to produce audio and video streaming broadcasts for the Internet. They are employed by radio and television broadcasting networks and stations, by broadcast equipment companies and by Internet-based communication providers.
- broadcast technician
- broadcast transmitter operator
- broadcasting switcher
- master control room (MCR) equipment operator - broadcasting
- master control room (MCR) technician - broadcasting
- mobile broadcasting equipment operator
- regional transmitter technician
- short-wave receiving station technician
- video transmission operator
- broadcast engineer
- Audio and video recording technicians (See 5225 Audio and video recording technicians)
- Film and video camera operators (See 5222 Film and video camera operators)
- Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts (See 5226 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts)
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Monitor broadcast quality of live and taped radio and television programs
- Operate and monitor radio and television broadcasting systems to broadcast, receive signals and to regulate clarity and range of sounds and colours of recordings or broadcasts
- Operate broadcast equipment to produce audio and video streaming broadcasts for the Internet
- Make emergency repairs to equipment and substitute programs in case of signal failure
- Maintain, install and troubleshoot a wide variety of broadcast hardware and software
- Set up and operate consoles to pick up and select feed sources from different locations and to air radio or television programs and commercials
- May supervise other broadcast technicians.
- Completion of a college program in broadcast technology or electronics is usually required.
- Senior and supervisory positions in this unit group require experience.